DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SOLVED] nifskope 1.1.1 crashes when importing a a mesh with the screw effect applied.

delta19

so in blender my mesh is a cylinder with a torus on each end. i uv map all 3 of them and join them together. ok i can export that as a .3ds and it works just fine. thats not what i want though, i want it to have a nice little leather spiral on it. so i make a circle and mess with the scale a bit then add a screw modifier to it, make my leather wrap and uv map it. now once joined to the other parts i enter edit mode and unwrap again to fix the mess of a uv map i had, and i get this.

da7e028dfd.png

ok thats fine, that usable. not going for looks just learning how to use nifskope 1.1.1 and .3ds files. so i hit tab, scale along z and make it an oval.

i then export that as a .3ds and try to import it into nifskope.

heres where the fun starts.

if it doesnt crash i get this

0db956da88.png

or this

1e48e89297.png

and i have no idea how this happened or what i did wrong to get this... so all i can say is. help?

Hmmm, if you get the screw piece when Nifskope doesn't crash it seems that the screw modifier isn't the problem. It's the relationship between the pieces you've made that's giving Nifskope the fits. Before exporting be sure you've CTRL A'd to apply transformations. I wrote that because I can't imagine what happened and I had to write some kind of advice :)

Just for giggles try importing the 3ds back into Blender after you export it to see how that looks. If it looks ok then it's not Blender's fault.

As a last resort you could try deleting the cylinder and making a new one by extruding the edge of the spiral wrap, but I got a little angry just writing that because dammit the cylinder and toruses - torii - should export. Maybe they do export nicely though, which is why I suggest importing back to Blender...

Hmmm, if you get the screw piece when Nifskope doesn't crash it seems that the screw modifier isn't the problem. It's the relationship between the pieces you've made that's giving Nifskope the fits. Before exporting be sure you've CTRL A'd to apply transformations. I wrote that because I can't imagine what happened and I had to write some kind of advice :)

Just for giggles try importing the 3ds back into Blender after you export it to see how that looks. If it looks ok then it's not Blender's fault.

As a last resort you could try deleting the cylinder and making a new one by extruding the edge of the spiral wrap, but I got a little angry just writing that because dammit the cylinder and toruses - torii - should export. Maybe they do export nicely though, which is why I suggest importing back to Blender...

i'll have to test that later because right now when i export a 3ds with a screw it corrupts the file.

minus the bewbs, me right now

tumblr_lw4d5px0mq1qau8qao1_500.gif

didnt even have to do what you said just did what i always do and it worked. well that is after i decimated it and got the files size to a point where it wouldnt kill nifskope.

7b976495d7.png

like i, i dont even know anymore.

ugh

wheres the good scotch.

well its working for sure now

guess i should restart my computer once or twice before asking a question.

for any future modders starting out that read this

restart your computer

open the .blend file

decimate the mesh as much as you can and mess with the uv till the file is under 500KB

once done open the less<500KB .3ds file in nifskope and it should be working just fine.

Edited by delta19

In your very very first screen I noticed that you have the same amount of verts as faces... :blink:  Then reading down, Grond addressed the Transform issue. Actually, you do this with the "N" key.  Do you have objects on other layers? If so, make sure that they are unselected before exporting. You want to make sure that all objects for export have their scale and rotation set to 0 .. this will ensure that the exported items are all in alignment. Again...the N key.

Edited by donnato

I didn't look at the polycounts Don. :lmao: That's probably why it wouldn't go.

Delta good advice :) The most important piece is to always get the tri count down to the least amount you need for your project. Then restarting might not be needed.

One more nit:

The N key brings up the properties box in which you manually reset things. ALT+G, S or R can automatically clear the same transformations. But to apply them you may use CTRL+A. Been doing that for years. :D  http://blendertips.com/hotkeys.html

@delta19. I would not guarantee the condition of NifSkope plugins, they are not very robust, which is why we have 3d program specific plugins.

If you care to share the files then we can take a look.

Also you are using v1.1.1, v1.1.3 is latest recommended version, but I will link the latest 1.2 dev build of NifSkope once it is uploaded it alot more stable even at this stage than wither of the two.

@delta19. I would not guarantee the condition of NifSkope plugins, they are not very robust, which is why we have 3d program specific plugins.

If you care to share the files then we can take a look.

Also you are using v1.1.1, v1.1.3 is latest recommended version, but I will link the latest 1.2 dev build of NifSkope once it is uploaded it alot more stable even at this stage than wither of the two.

for this im not using any nifskope plugins or any blender ones, just blender 2.7 and nifskope 1.1.1 .

also im using 1.1.1 because that is the version needed to make bows by this websites tutorials and not gonna change that because im not skilled enough to fix any problems that may pop up.