DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Adding a SSD to an established system

Ok folks.. it`s me again. :P  Ok .. SSDs are becoming more reasonably priced, especially on holiday sales. I can pick up a 120 GB ssd for around $60 - $80 dollars from newegg during this sale. This is what has sparked my questions. So... on with the show.

How do I / Can I,  move over my boot stuff, and all my C drive stuff over to the new ssd without losing everything by having to reinstall my OS?

I`m getting a 1TB external so, could I use that?

I`ll have more questions if this is even doable.

Thank you.

Well first off a 120 gig drive is pretty small unless you are only planning on installing windows and any necessary drivers, etc that it needs. You'd be better off getting a larger drive. BUT, to answer your question any decent backup software should have an option to either clone a new drive or copy a backup copy to the new drive. Make sure it its copying partitions it copies the hidden Windows 7 system partition or it won't work.

Edited by Arion

Yup , thanks. .. just the essentials > over to the ssd. I Have Paragon Backup installed. My C drive IS a partition. ... is there something else I need to know?  thing is..is that there are Python files needed to run some other software I have. If I move those... will those programs still "see" those needed files? My C drive contains only about 100 GBs now.

Well if your C: drive contains about 100 gigs now I'd say that 120 SSD is way too small. I looked at your backup software and it sees the hidden partitions that Windows 7 creates for its system files. I'm not sure how it handles restoring or cloning and I didnt' understand its use of virtual backup partitions or whatever. My software actally clones the drive if I'm installing a new drive so that it is and exact duplicate. When I restore partitions it restores the entire partition. I didnt' want to pay extra to extract files.

Oh and PS.. Your software does do compression so your backups are the smaller in  size than the data you are backing up. You need to go in and configure that. And I'm not sure what the Locked features are...

Edited by Arion

Leave the O/S on the current drive. Reinstall your GAMES to the SSD. once the O/S loads, that's pretty much it as far as I/O goes.... your games, on the other hand, are CONSTANTLY thumping on the harddrive. Given the performance difference I saw going from an IDE, to a SATA drive, I would wager that you will see significantly reduced loading times, and perhaps a more stable game.

What I did when I installed a new drive, and didn't want to have to even ATTEMPT to clue in windows where everything went....... I just did a direct copy from my old game drive (IDE) to the new drive (SATA), and then did the drive letter shuffle, so the replacement drive, had the same drive letter as the one it, erm.... replaced.... Worked like a charm. So far as windows is concerned, the only thing that changed is data transfer got faster. :)

• Upvote 1