DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Problem with the .nif file

Berfand

Hey All!

I am quite new to Skyrim modding, I am following this tutorial: ()

wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Skyrim._Part_1

I have finished everything stated in it - carefully - , but there was a difference that occured: in the step when exporting the things from blender to .nif, after I opened the new .nif I got this way, there wasn't any "Scene Root node", instead there were everything else normally, just how they should look like inside the "Scene Root node".

So I continued, leaving out the step: deleting the "Scene Root node".

Everything seemed normal, but when I tried using my .nif file in the Creation Kit, it crashed... And every single time afterwards too.

You should also know, that I made some extra steps while working in blender:

- After importing the basic .nif file into Blender 2.49b, I saved that .blend file, then opened it up in Blender 2.7a.

- I made changes on the mesh, assigned a material, made my UV map, then made a new .dds texture (plus its friends: n&m :) ).

- I exported what I made to .obj.

- Then I imported the .obj into Blender 2.49b, and continued the process normally, as in the tutorial.

I am using Blender since a year now, and like it much much, so I really don't want going off to 3ds Max.

Please help me if you can, I am open to a nice explanation :)

BTW, here is my file:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2mg8nscLY4rXzdoTHVtMTRSbUE

Thanks for Your time and help!

OK, I managed to got a cuirass to work, following the tutorial on this forum...

But I only managed once, and it wasn't fully correct too: The arms of the body kept moving a bit strangely - I think I made the "Bone Weight Copy" from the wrong object (The armor I chnaged has a body part plus an armor part too...). Also, the textures were messed up. The body was colored completely like a plain normal map, and the cuirass was colored like the basic meshe's, only with different UV mapping - though I set a new texture to it. :(

Then I started again from scratch, but this time - unlike the first - I got 4 dismemberment parts on the body. And got it 3 more times then. This feels kinda weird, since I followed the tutorial. I usually had messed up bones, but then I quited Blender, waited, tried again, and so on, until I got it clear.

I always checked my bone object under "Links and Materials", and saw this:

http://i.imgur.com/FMcgGma.png

I don't know, maybe this has something to do with it.

If you know something, please help

I've looked at your myboots.nif and see a couple of things wrong;

- Your BSDismemberSkinInstance contains 2 partitions - 37_feet and 38_calves, yet the mesh is only partitioned as one. Possibly the source of the CK crash. Remove the 38_calves partition (rename it to 37 as well).

- Not sure why you've rigged these boots to the body and have the Thigh bones in there. Not necessary.

- Your texture paths are incorrect. They must start with textures\ . Place your textures in a proper folder in your Data\textures folder then repath the nif.

- If you want to use the environment map texture that you put in there, then the Shader Type needs to be Environment Map and not Default.

- Under the NiTriShapeData change the Consistency Flag to CT_Static.

Try fixing that up and see how it goes. Can't comment on the cuirass without seeing more. I can tell you that Blender export scripts currently will sometimes export more partitions than you made, typically splitting up the Torso partition. It's ok to have 2 32_Body partitions.

Huh thanks a lot, now it is not crashing, and thats maybe more then I deserve :D

Only problem I can see now is that the whole boots are black.

By the time I wrote my second post in this thread, I went through this site's tutorial several times, and realized that the BSDismemberSkinInstance's Partiotions and it's NiSkinPartition's Partitions should match, but didn't dare delete the feet - also didn't know that there can be 2 under the same name. :)

I made these boots using EbonyBoots as base - and tried copying every property and setting in NifSkope, that's why I had the Thigh bones. Now that I think of it they must be required only to move the knee part of the EbonyBoots, which I've removed. Next time I gonna try thinking more. :)

Also, could you describe what is that CT_STATIC and CT_MUTEABLE, etc. property used for?

Thanks a lot! :)

EDIT:

The edited .nif of the boots can be found here, should anyone want to take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mg8nscLY4rMGpkMlRJVWxpLXc/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT:

I reloaded CK and loaded the boots again, and they have their textures now, so it seems that I finally got my first - let"s call it - "mod" :D

Just need to be checked out in-game. :)

EDIT: Works! :)

Thanks again :good:

Edited by Berfand

Wasn't seeing two pieces of armor out of four, then realized that they were dismember like a fallout nif (BP_TORSO, etc.) :D

But how it used to be: still having problem:

The hood is completely invisible, and the robe is "missing" the calves and forearms areas. Also there are two body dismemberments... strange, but at least doesn't crash the CK or the game. The START_NET_BONESET property was checked for all except for the calves, then I unchecked them all but those of the body's. It didn't change anything, except for making it not blown up in-game.

I also have some problem with the looks: The armor seems like it was wet, the normal map seems working though.

Here are my files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mg8nscLY4rMFNaUDJ3UGU5SUU/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mg8nscLY4rZ2I1WWlkeFlJb0U/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mg8nscLY4rWkdUczNOT2MteEU/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mg8nscLY4rZ2xxRFB6MndENWM/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: There is no problem with the helmet, just forgot I didn't equip the item :S

EDIT2: It was my fault again: The normal map was just a plain one, that caused the wet look... Gimp's .dds export is not good at all. :( Good I have Paint.NET. :)

Edited by Berfand

This is growing weirder with every step I correct :D

Now, I realized, that the hand item hides the forearm piece, so that's why the forearm of my armor is missing. This seems exactly the same with the boots and the calves.

So I unequipped these two items, and of course it didn't help either: The calve and forearm pieces of the armor are blown up - all horkers turned towards me to see those things flying around me in the air :D

Then I checked whether there are calve and forearm dismemberments on my boots and gloves, and there aren't forearms on the gloves - or at least I couldn't find them. :(

Also the hand has 3 dismemberments - that's how Blender dismembers it when exporting, not sure if it can be helped :( - , all of the partitions are SBP_33_HANDS, and I cannot see any overlappings too...

I really don't know how to correct it now :(

EDIT: Getting smarter! XD It was in the CK to be disabled under "Biped Objects". :)

Edited by Berfand