DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Unofficial Patches - "Legendary Edition" or Separate Files?

Arthmoor

This is a question we get on a fairly regular basis, so I think the time has come to consider our options for the future.

First off, yes, I know I've been staunchly opposed to unifying the Unofficial Patch under a single all-in-one file to cover everything. Recent events have begun to strain the current model we're operating under though. Some fixes, like certain perks, can't currently be handled by our existing setup without generating a small fix file to cover these.

Currently, the perk fixes are being handled here: http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/files/file/1212-dg-and-db-axe-perk-compatibility-fix/

Another issue just reported involves incorrect dragon skeletons when a dragon dies: http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/tracdown/issue/16721-dragonborn-serpentine-dragons-inappropriate-mesh-when-dying/ - In order to address this, the DragonActorScript would need editing, and such an edit can't currently deal with DG dragons while preserving the DB dragons and the Miraak support code.

A third issue is one that's been brought up before, but so far hasn't been formally reported - It's not possible currently to support adoptions on Solstheim because it would necessitate code that alters two DLCs. Technically it can be considered a bug that you can't even move your spouse to Raven Rock. It's pretty easy to see why Bethesda didn't even try.

In general, any inter-DLC issues that come up can't currently be managed.

Then there's the general difficulty in maintaining the separate packages as they are now. Each one requires a clean environment from which to work, which right now is only truly possible by having multiple Skyrim install folders that get switched between as each patch runs its cycle. Conflict resolution with this setup is made difficult because such conflicts can only be checked with every file in the same folder, and it's not wise to dirty up each folder with stuff from another.

One major downside to all this is that removing the existing DLC patches from a running game could very well break things. There would be no other good way to go about this though (thank God we're using BSAs!) that wouldn't potentially cause some problems.

Something that will need to be kept in mind. This changeover would mean the end of continued development on the current separate files. It is not feasible to manage the project in two entirely different branches.

This would not affect the High Resolution patch. That would remain separate since it isn't dependent on certain DLCs existing or not and the content isn't something everyone can run.

So briefly:

Pros:
No more need for multiple development folders.
No more unresolvable conflicts.
One unified patch that only takes up one ESP slot.

Cons:
Not everyone has every DLC yet.
A significant amount of work to properly merge everything into one unified ESP.
Support on the existing separate patches would be frozen except for hotfix issues.
Extremely likely that the game could get confused when ripping out the unsupported DLC patches when a change like this is made.

Again, as I once said, "hell no, never" - well. It's starting to become enough of a hassle to consider it.

But, as these patches are largely for the sake of the community, I think it should be put to a poll. So please cast your vote, and post your thoughts on why we should or should not do this.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm ... seriously going to have to give this some thought before casting my vote. I`ll hang on for now and see what other questions pop up. On the surface it sounds reasonable to compile all the various patch permutations into one , main file. However ... nothing is ever as easy, or reasonable, as it sounds at first.

Someone asked what would be impacted by the switch to a unified file. Since Nexus is the only place I know of where this data can be accessed readily (for those who have marked it) I'll post what's available from there.

The list of USKP dependencies is irrelevent because the filename for that would not be changing. Which would eliminate issues with 62 files according to the Nexus data.

UDGP dependencies:

101 lisa again 01
    An NPO Module - Crossbows
    Better Sorting for - An NPO Module - Crossbows
    Clean Saves Archive
    Czech Translation for Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
    Darius Assassin
    Dragon Shouts Rebalanced - BETA
    GW71_Metallica
    No Permanent Essentials
    Proper Combat
    Racial Traits Overhaul
    Requiem - RND - Frostfall AiO Patch
    Requiem - Unofficial Patches Restored
    SAVS - Skyrim Almost Vanilla Saves
    Shouts Reloaded Lite designed for SkyRe
    Simple LOADING Screen
    Skyrim Dovahkiin Spanish
    Skyrim Redone - Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade Patch
    Skyrim Uncut
    ULTIMATE SKYRIM - AtoZ GUIDE to get the most IMMERSIVE and REALISTIC Skyrim
    Uncle Sheo's Stable Modding Guide
    Unofficial Dawnguard Patch -- Spanish
    YASH - Yet Another Skyrim Hardcore mod

UHFP dependencies:

Clean Saves Archive
    Czech Translation for Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
    Darius Assassin
    Hearthfires Everyone Sleeps
    Simple LOADING Screen
    Unofficial Hearthfire Patch -- Spanish

UDBP dependencies:

An NPO Module - Crossbows
    Better Sorting for - An NPO Module - Crossbows
    Clean Saves Archive
    Czech Translation for Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
    Darius Assassin
    Dragon Shouts Rebalanced - BETA
    Food and Drinks
    GW71_Metallica
    No Permanent Essentials
    Shouts Reloaded Lite designed for SkyRe
    Simple LOADING Screen
    Skyrim Dovahkiin Spanish
    ULTIMATE SKYRIM - AtoZ GUIDE to get the most IMMERSIVE and REALISTIC Skyrim
    Unofficial Dragonborn Patch -- Spanish

Personally I'm all for the unified approach; heck, any new content that I build tends to be based on this philosophy, with minor provisions for those who don't have the DLCs. Adnd as a user of all of the unofficial patches I'll happily admit that I'd love to see everything streamlined into a single package for easy maintenance (same reason why I bought a second copy of the Witcher on Steam rather than going through the hell that was CD-Projekt Red's updater when the enhanced edition came up). But my type of modding is completely different to yours and even after my foray into the world of compatibility matches, I can scarcely imagine what goes into creating anything as complex as the USKP. And legacy users without the DLCs are always going to be a factor. I suppose my two drakes would be to freeze individual releases at either their current release or the one that is considered most stable/least problematic, and go keep that up for the legacy users. Then move forward with unified packages from there on.

As for the impacted mods, a bigger question is how many of those are still being updated? Going to a unified patch could be catastrophic the the modder has left the community and hasn't left any permissions for patches after the fact.

Think the biggest issue is the one you pointed out.. not everyone has all the dlc's, and for those, the UOP would no longer be useable..... Currently, the vote is tied...... but, I am not going to vote, as, to me, doesn't matter one way or the other. Sure, a unified patch would be more convenient for ME...... but, I am not everyone. :)

Polling has concluded - as promised, here are the results gathered from all 6 sites:

For the unified file: 263 (75.6%)
Against the unified file: 85 (24.4%)

At this time, we do not feel it would be appropriate to cut off 25% of the user base from being able to use the patches.

With that said, support *IS* high enough that we will be planning to move forward on this within the next year. There's every reason to believe that with current rates of reporting that all 3 DLCs will have few if any significant bug fixes to come in between now and then and a unified version will make much more sense at that time than it apparently does now.

Keep in mind, the poll numbers were slightly misleading. Posts in the thread indicate a much stronger underlying trend against unification right now. Maybe after the fall and winter Steam sales things will change. For now we'll continue as we have been.

• 2 weeks later...