DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Body mesh twisting on intermediate weight settings

AlpineYJ

Hey there!

Long time listener, first time caller (Bob & Tom reference).

I made this recently: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56463

Basically, all I did was form the lower parts of a UNP BBP mesh around a SeveNBase Bombshell body. It didn't take long, and it came out extremely well. A couple of days later, a helpful Nexus user pointed out that the offset of the body was off -vs- the hands, etc. I looked at it using the mod he was referencing, and sure enough - it's off.

Anyway, I had a fix done within a couple of hours, except that I used a TBBP body this time. TBBP bodies (in the past) have given me fits for some odd reason, and this one is no exception. The body shows up in-game and looks fantastic at either the 0 or 100 weight settings. When I move the weight slider in RaceMenu to *any* intermediate weight, the vertices twist and distort themselves really badly - almost looks like a transporter accident (think Star Trek I). When I move the slider all the way to the 0 or 100 side, the vertices "snap" back to position as if nothing was wrong.

I use Blender 2.49a, NifTools, etc, etc. I've converted gobs of armor meshes (non-bouncy) with no issues. The only oddities I run into are when I try to do something with TBBP bodies. I've made the modification within nif_common.py to change the max bones per partition from 18 to 60. Before that modification, the result was an exploded mess.

To summarize: non-bouncy bodies work fine, BBP bodies work fine, TBBP bodies melt at intermediate weights.

I am at work, so I can't post some melty nifs. I will be happy to do it when I get home if needed. If anybody happens to know off the top of their head what is wrong (or what could be wrong), I am open for ideas.

Thanks for any help anybody can give me!

Edited by AlpineYJ

My guess would be the extra breast bones and weight painting in a TBBP body causing the issue. There are many vertices around the chest area and if they start to cross over because of the conversion from _0 to _1 weights, it would cause that explosion.

I haven't looked into these type of body meshes closely, but would Caliente's BodySlide / Outfit Studio help? (you'll have to look it up on Nexus, I can't link it here due to it's content)

I've used Bodyslide & Outfit Studio extensively.  I used CBBE for ages prior to digging into making a new body type.  I still use Outfit Studio to make minor armor adjustments after an initial conversion.  I don't think it would help me much with this particular issue.  :/

I gathered some more information that I am hoping will be helpful.  I made and uploaded a 7zip that contains the "before" meshes, "after" meshes, along with two videos.  One video shows my workflow for importing & exporting a mesh into and out of Blender, and the other shows the resulting mess using the RaceMenu body slider.  I used a pre-weighted TBBP UNP body for this demo.  All I did was import it into Blender, then export it again - no other adjustments.  There is obviously something I am missing - or there is a trick that I am missing.  :(  As I've mentioned, I've used Blender to convert gobs of armors (for my own use), and this is the very first time I've encountered anything like this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2rUWJmi6w3DbVlKTVdNTG56ZzA/edit?usp=sharing

If the content in the archive is too much for the general viewing public, please let me know and I will pull the link.

Ok, I have this one fixed.

I ended up using the Mesh Rigger (will want to Google it, as it lives on a less than SFW site).  I selected one of the pre-imported meshes & copied all of the bones & weights over to the post-imported mesh.  It worked beautifully.  :)  If anybody wants me to video a workflow for it, let me know.  It's pretty easy to use.