DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

tv converter

donnato

Hello again folks. due to recent expense increases I find my self looking for ways to make cuts. Cable TV is the most logical , first , dispensable resource. Awhile ago TV went digital, which made my analog TV obsolete unless I got a converter box and a special antenna. I`m finding that now .. that looks like a good way to go. I have a friend who gets plenty of  free, channels this way. I`ve done the usual intetrweb search but, lots of questions. Anyone have info..?

How well it works depends on where you are, and what is in range of the antenna. All the TV stations are still broadcasting via the air waves, just the signal is now digital, where previously, it had been analog. So, if at some point in the past, you got a good selection of channels with an analog antenna, same should be true for the digital feller. And, just like the old antennas, the higher you can get it, the better it works. It is also 'directional' to a point, depending on what type of antenna you get.... Just having something in the house won't necessarily work as well as you like.

Other alternative is something like the Roku box. It uses your internet connection to stream various TV programs to your TV. Netflix, Hulu, Hulu plus, et al, are available there. Not sure just how much you can get in the way of local programming on it though. Never really explored that. It works halfway decent on my old 1.5mb/s connection, works a LOT better on my 15mb/s connection I have now.....

Edit: Most of the main broadcaster (ABC,NBC, et al) also stream their programming via the internet. You can watch that on your computer.... or, run a cable to your TV, provided it will do that kind of trick.... and watch on the TV.

Thank you HY that is good info. The whole idea here is to get away from subscriptions. I really don`t care how many channels I get .. as long as there`s something that doesn`t piss me off. Like Simpsons .. or Family Guy... or the news... I can get that at work.