DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[sky] Advantages of making a master file

Ashenfire

Rewrite:  original post deleted.

Hard to ask question when I am unfamiliar with the territory.

I need to know about the pros and cons of making [.ESM]

or master files.

• I want to do tedious 'warehouse' tasks that involve keywords, forms, lists, etc.

This means making a resource mod that is available for drag and drop for

ALL mods I create.   I don't want to edit the resources one by one and choose

a model.  I just want to drag & drop and it is already filled out ready to use.

So how do I do this?   Am I MERGING two [.ESP] files into a larger [.ESP] file?

Or

Am I making a master warehouse file that all mods rely on and I have to tell

the users to download two files, both the .esm and the .esp file?

Edited by Ashenfire

• 3 weeks later...

Right.

I am wondering if for instance:

I have 5 .esp files.

Each one has a warehouse cell that I created for different things

(potion display, weapon rack display, button display, gem display.

I have a sixth .esp that is an adventure that wants to use the 5 warehouse mods.

Is there any advantage of merging the 5 mods into the 6th?

Is there a risk of losing elements of the warehouse when merging?

Or

Do I play it safe and merge all 5 mods into one .esm file that the sixth mod will

be dependent on?

The ESP files (with the warehouse cells) will be INVISIBLE and UNUSABLE to any other ESP or ESM files.

Although, there may be a work around where you can create a 'pointer' to the ESP files using script.

Look into the 'GetFormFromFile' command.

Here is an example of detecting if Dragonborn.esm is loaded in the players game.

Armor DLC2ArmorBonemoldBoots = Game.GetFormFromFile(0x0001CD92, "Dragonborn.esm") As Armor

• Upvote 1

Ok, I guess that was a silly question.   You are saying that it still holds true that they are unusable/invisible to each other. 

For some reason I thought we could 'merge' files into each other.  I was creating mods independently so they would

have fewer risk of being infected by any dialogue bug or any mistake that I make would be contained.