DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Help] Created Weapon is invisible/broken

erunesuto2

Hey!

So i am creating my first Mod, a weapon.

I went through this guide step by step (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16985/?) and also informed myself with the help of other guides (Youtube etc.).

Instead of Cinema 4D, i use Modo.

My problem is this:

In CK - 

etoxcera.jpg

As you can see, only parts of my weapon are displayed. The rest is invisible.

If i open my mesh again with Nifskope (1.1.0-rc6 / 1.1.3.36ebfdd), i get this message,

""device position incorrect after block number 16 (NiTriShapeData) at 0x2277b ended at 0x30e6b7 (expected 0x30e563)"" 

""device position incorrect after block number 17 (BSLightingShaderProperty) at 0x30e563 ended at 0x30e567 (expected 0x30e5c7)"" 
""device position incorrect after block number 18 (BSShaderTextureSet) at 0x30e5c7 ended at 0x30e5cb (expected 0x30e6af)"" 
"failed to load file footer" 
"failed to load nif from 'D:/Games/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Skyrim/Data/meshes/weapons/kirotvasara/1stpersonkirotvasara.nif'" 

and my mesh looks like this -
zps8gys7.jpg

I do not know what causes this problem.
I checked the normals with Modo AND Cinema 4D. There seem alright.
My texture files are in 2K and my normal map is in 4k, but i don't think that's the problem.

The problem my lie within Nifskope.
Before saving my mesh in Nifskope and opening it in the CK, i can't see any errors. The device positions , as the error message says, are correct and my mesh and textures are also displayed properly.
Then during the saving process something happens...

Sure.

Geometry -> Freeze -> Freeze Curves as: 2 Points Polygons

Freeze Displacement                         checked

Frezze Deformation                           checked

Tessellation                                        checked

Subdivide Curves with Fixed Spans   checked

File -> Export as... .obj

In Nifskope i delete the NiTriShapeData (in my case of the Imperial Sword).

Afterwards...

File -> Import .obj

Then i change the textures, face meshes, change Num UV and so on.

And the end it looks like this.

offzwjbs.jpg

But after saving...see my first Post :/

I assume you used nifskope 1.1.0 rc6 to import the .obj file. Any version higher than that obj import was broken.

In the nifskope picture in the original post, I see a BSShaderTextureSet node listed at the bottom, not attached to anything. Should it be attached to something or is it garbage?

I'd really need to see the mesh first hand to get a closer look. Could you PM the nif file to me, please?

I used 1.1.0 rc6, 1.1.0 rc4 and 1.1.3.

BSShaderTextureSet IS attached prior to saving. After saving it is NOT, that's one of my problems. Something happens during the saving process and destroys the whole structure.

Over the weekend i have taken another approach.

I imported my mesh to Blender and exported it as .nif.

I then followed this guide...

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5541-3d-craftworks-from-blender-to-skyrim/#entry83868

But my new nif does not have a texture branch. So can't continue my work.

Anyway i will pm you my mesh, nifs and textures.

But I don't think, that my mesh is the problem here.

Edited by erunesuto2

Actually, your mesh is the problem, as I suspected. A few things wrong/incorrect;

1. It's not UV mapped - meaning a texture will not be applied
2. Weapon2.nif is probably closest to usable, except for the missing UV map and missing BSLightingShaderProperty nodes which contain all the information relating to the texture and how it's applied
3. Running it through the NifUtils process (per that guide you linked) after export from Blender will help fill in all the missing nodes and remove the not needed nodes.
4. Why is there two NiTriShapes exactly the same?

When I imported weapon2.nif into Blender, there is no UV map.

post-1515-0-41676500-1415118574_thumb.jp

However, when I import the .obj file, there is a UV map, so we'll start from here.

post-1515-0-66651000-1415118622_thumb.jp

The UV map was not being properly exported to your .nif file. In order to do this, you must do some extra steps in Blender by applying a material and texture to your mesh (see example 1 in that tutorial).

post-1515-0-79096900-1415119630_thumb.jp

You can then export the mesh (see step 3), clean it up in NifSkope, then copy branch/paste branch of your NiTriShape into another weapon model to get all the other extra information and collision. It looks like steelsword.nif will suit your needs. Just remember to remove all the NiTriShapes of the steelsword once you position your new sword in the same position.

Might I suggest a little extra help in modeling? We have a tutorial here on the basics of Blender that will help you understand the program better (it was written for Oblivion but it still applies).

I finally managed to import my weapon to Skyrim.  :toast:

I had imported the .obj to 3ds Max and had exported it as .3ds.

Following i used this guide.

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4634-3d-craftworks-importing-weapons-into-skyrim/

But know there is another problem.

My weapon looks kinda...plastic?

It does not looks like in Modo or Mudbox at all.

I know that it can not look identical, because of the render properties and so on.

The difference is , however, exagerated.

Could it be my normal map?

Edit: I missed your last post.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by erunesuto2

Ok, well, good to hear. :)

Your texture.dds and your texture_m.dds have white alpha channels that should be removed and resaved as DXT1 no alpha. That might help. Other things you can do is slightly darken the environment map and/or use a "dull" cube map. You can also lower the 'glossiness' in the BSLightingShaderProperty options.