DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Hello! New modder interested in texturing

lollol

Hello! I'm a modder with some experience with Blender and doing basic re-textures with Gimp/Photoshop. I've mostly recolored parts of armor/clothing meshes to have them match up better when paired with others and port outfits between different body mods for Oblivion. I noticed some of the mod authors whose works I'm a fan of are here on TES Alliance. I've just had a brief look in the Graphics Artistry section and Oblivion School Texturing section and most involve using another image as a starting point. Is there info for creating a texture while working without a reference image?

I would like to learn to create a new texture without using other mod files or images online as a base. I'm interested in creating brand new armor and swords but don't know where to start to effectively create quality textures. I would ideally like the texture to at least be on par in level of texture detail with the default Bethesda textures from Oblivion. I'd like to release it on the Nexus so I don't want to depend on finding images online. I wish to release my mods on both Oblivion and Skyrim Nexus as I play both and I want to stay 100% clear of any violation of copyright.

I can create models in Blender but I'm unfamiliar with:

- Creating a UV map and creating a custom model that works well with UV map generation.
- Creating a new texture from blank canvas and going beyond simple, solid color to enhance realism.

For a first project, I'd like to make an Elder Scrolls Keyblade. A Dovahkiin keyblade, and later perhaps also a Champion of Cyrodiil keyblade. With a workflow for the above, I believe I can create a prototype keyblade and can then focus on improving it.

The Dovahkiin Keyblade would have a katana-like design somewhat like One Winged Angel in Kingdom Hearts 1 but with a steel/monochrome color scheme. A basic idea I have, to start out with is to have the blade's handle and hilt design to be based from the Skyrim logo modeled in 3D. Definitely an unusual idea but I would follow a stylized appearance thus the mesh is doable, poly count won't be too high and it can have a more simplistic texture design. It can start out with an entirely steel texture with detail and refinements done later.

http://www.khwiki.com/images/7/70/One-Winged_Angel_KHFM.png

Highly reflective steel similar to the blade of the Stamford
http://insanecreations.co.uk/Resources/Projects/Skyrim/TheStamford.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi There! Welcome to TESA. We are happy to see you here. :D

For your technical question, have a look the in the Enclave, should be an appropriate section for ya. Though they do seem to be separated by game. Some good tutorials around here as well. Poke around, see what you find. If you don't find an answer you are looking for, feel free to post up. :D

Hello and welcome lollol. For UV maps you`ll need the Nvidia .dds plugins for Gimp or Photoshop. I learned the basics from Insanity Sorrows old Custom Portrait tutorial. It may buried fairly deep in the  Enclave HY spoke of.

As far as custom textures I`ve used photos I took and even messed around with using the scanner on my printer with tinfoil,  smooth, and crinkled in different ways. You can also find brush effects for both Gimp and PS online, or follow some simple tuts to make your own.  

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome lollol. For UV maps you`ll need the Nvidia .dds plugins for Gimp or Photoshop. I learned the basics from Insanity Sorrows old Custom Portrait tutorial. It may buried fairly deep in the  Enclave HY spoke of.

As far as custom textures I`ve used photos I took and even messed around with using the scanner on my printer with tinfoil,  smooth, and crinkled in different ways. You can also find brush effects for both Gimp and PS online, or follow some simple tuts to make your own.  

Thanks! I do have the plugins already installed. I have done simple recolors of outfits, usually to make black or white mashups. Interesting idea to use the scanner on your printer. I do have a scanner on mine but my printer is super cheap. I think it was on sale for $ 99 or something

Hi There! Welcome to TESA. We are happy to see you here. :D

For your technical question, have a look the in the Enclave, should be an appropriate section for ya. Though they do seem to be separated by game. Some good tutorials around here as well. Poke around, see what you find. If you don't find an answer you are looking for, feel free to post up. :D

I've quickly looked through the Oblivion and Skyrim texturing sections. I imagine for most of the ideas I'm considering it will be very difficult to find a good reference image. I will have to make a custom texture

Extremely difficult ideas:

Dress on the left would be close to perfect for one of my characters, would likely be difficult to make though. But probably worth it.

k-bigpic.jpg

Only change would be to make it not open neck due to the neck seams in Oblivion/Skyrim.
Dream Mod: I want to play as Noctis in Skyrim and be Prompto in Fallout 4, have the others as followers.
Final Fantasy XV Main Characters

There is also a giant version of the image, like 5660 by 8000

FFXV.png

Difficult:

Judgement armor from WOW

84321f5db1da85cbae14b9634fa651c8.jpg

Paladin_Tier_2_Judgement_set_by_peetieta

Retro mods(A lot!):

Kingdom Hearts keyblades with Skyrim level graphics

Vanitas outfit:

Vanitas_KHBBS.png

Aqua outfit(though it would be a bit different):

Aqua_KHBBS.png

Auron outfit(though no tucked arm)

auron9pc.png

Final Fantasy 8 Squall and his Gunblade

Squall_Dissidia_CG_render.png

Chrono Trigger characters

070610_chronotrigger-550x366.jpg#geekosy

Old School Final Fantasy and Ogre Battle characters designed by Akihiko Yoshida including:
Final Fantasy Tactics: Ramza(2nd or 3rd chapter), Delita Heiral(both), Dycedarg, T.G. Cid, Gafgarion. Wiegraf(both), Shrine Knights
Tactics Ogre: Denam, Vyce, Templar Knights, Terror Knights, Dragoon, Lanselot Hamilton, Lanselot Tartaros
Final Fantasy IV: Cecil, Kain, Golbez

Dark Knight Cecil
Cecil_Dissidia_CG_render.png

Paladin Cecil
Cecil_-_012_CG.png

Golbez

Golbez.png
D012_Golbez_CG.png

Edited by lollol

Welcome to TESA.  :)

Thanks!

I learned the basics from Insanity Sorrows old Custom Portrait tutorial. It may buried fairly deep in the  Enclave HY spoke of.

I'm thinking this might do the trick, however I'm having difficulty finding it so far.Tried looking on InsanitySorrow's profile -> Tutorials.

Once I get the basics of painting/using built-in tools to paint in Photoshop or Gimp I probably will be able to do a simple project. Making the jump from retexs and mashups only to creating brand new armor.

I think the main thing I got from that tut was how to do normal maps and tweak the settings. Ya might try PMing IS ... or maybe Grond?

EDIT: Ok, I found it but for some reason I can`t place a link soo .. Go to the Enclave then , go to ESiv Oblivion school, Texturing. Then at the top you`ll see Texturing Workshops. Should be lots of stuff in there for ya.

Edited by donnato

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to TESA,  lollol! :wave: Have a little :cookie4u: as a welcome from me.

Thanks!

Those are some challenging projects! But fun! Maybe you can get ZBrush and follow this tutorial by Ben Douglas that shows you how to design a game character from A to Z (including unique textures), it's been very helpful for me: Linkie link

Thank you very much! I think this might be just the thing I need! I remember an image of an WIP armor in the Skyrim Nexus image share where the commenters mentioned ZBrush.

Didn't know it can be used for texturing too! It seems to have a 2.5D illustration mode 

Forgot to add this before:

Photoshop Sketch

Paper_Sketch.jpg

Original Screenshot

Original_Screenshot_with_background_remo

Drawing Paper

Drawing_Paper_Sketch.jpg

I did the loading screen tutorial( haven't made one that I really like yet, still need to play around with different FoVs and angles to get a good look).

It helped me finish another random photoshop/Gimp idea. I wanted to go from an in-game screenshot backwards to a pencil drawing on paper. I did use a site to do the inital part(a while ago) but had to edit to get it to look better. Most of her hair on top of her head was initially  turned entirely black and there was "static" around the edges.

Just wanted to see what Design Concept Sketches of modded Oblivion characters would look like, when using a very high detail armor like Jojjo's Silverlight Armor. Got the idea after seeing FF character concept drawings. It also could help me ask a question to texturing/armor creation veterans. Did any of you guys start out by doing an actual sketch like this? How do you initially plan the project, and determine whether it's feasible, etc. It's a bit hard to decide what to do first. I would be most motivated to create an armor that I personally would love to use.

I'm hoping I'll get more free time next week. I'm looking forward to checking out the Ben Douglas Masterclass and trying out Zbrush! I want a good chunk of time to just focus on this

Edited by lollol