DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Upgrading Triple Monitor (Eyefinity or Extended Desktop)

BajeDad

I would like to upgrade wife's computer for Christmas.   She is not a gamer (not like Skyrim).  Mostly using extended desktop (dual Dell U2412M 1920x1200) for business, although she does unwind on the machine with some very UNdemanding games.  (Let's just say that Windows 7 is the toughest video task her machine undertakes.)

What I would like to do is get her another Dell U2412M and a video card that will run all three Dells in extended desktop mode or the "Eyefinity" (which, best as I can tell, delivers the same thing, with a little more 2D geometric freedom in setting up the monitors).  The Dell U2412M delivers excellent video performance in a 16:10 format.  Those extra 120 vertical lines you get (that you don't get on a 1080p)... well...  I don't how I ever got by without those.  The biggest drawback to this monitor is that it has no HDMI input (just VGA and DVI-D).

So, to the point: 

I surfed around and found out I could use a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870.  It has 2 DVI-D connectors, an HDMI connector, and includes a passive HDMI-to-DVI_D adapter which allows it to run 3 DVI-D monitors.  Only problem is that it is not sold new anymore and I'd have to take my chances on a used one.

I looked at some of the new products, but do not see a CLEAR map to how I would get the product to work.  For instance, the Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 claims to be able to drive 3 monitors in the desired formats, but I only see one DVI-D connector and no comforting wording about adapters.  (Also, the 6970 is a power hog).

My question is:  Anyone know of a medium grade (under $300) video card which can drive three 1920x1200 DVI-D monitors in extended desktop or Eyfinity (or similar) configuration?

Thank you for reading.

I don't know specific cards but I'm pretty sure any card close to that amount will work nicely - you can get quite a lot of power for that price.

About your adapter issue, here's a youtube video about setting up 3 monitors using either an ATI or Nvidia card which might help. Good luck!