Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donnato

An issue with Windows updates

30 posts in this topic

Hello folks, last tuesday, 12-9-14 , there were 13 important updates waiting when I got home from work. I browsed through and found nothing unusual and so, installed. Next day Bessie couldn`t boot up. I finally got past that but now Defender has been switched off and I can`t turn it back on, also there are 8 more updates that fail everytime I try. I tried to DL Security Essentials but... for the first time ever... it failed also. My last available backup looks to be from 5 months ago so I`m waiting on that because I`m not sure that will solve the problem, and, it`ll be a PITA too. If anyone has any knowledge or ideas, I would greatly appreciate the input.

At least one of the updates include a badly done certificate, which means if you tried to install newer AMD drivers, you can't install them while the bad certificates are in place and those certs have to be removed.

MS released a small update yesterday that was about 28k, Don (KB3024777). Try installing that and see if it fixes your issues.

Sa, I don`t have AMD but how would I search and destroy the up with the bad cert.? Jac, I had 8 that failed everytime. I`ll look to see if KB3024777 is a newer one.

Thank you both. :coolup:

EDIT 12-12-14: Nope Jac, nothing listed with that KB#, also I`m showing fail at the download stage with an error code 800706F7.  In my software dristrubition folder the log shows that all 8 previous updated were successfully downloaded... :shrug: Looks like something is blocking any Microsoft downloads.

Edited by donnato

At least one of the updates include a badly done certificate, which means if you tried to install newer AMD drivers, you can't install them while the bad certificates are in place and those certs have to be removed.

Does the supplemental update mentioned below cover that?

MS released a small update yesterday that was about 28k, Don (KB3024777).

Ooops, outdated article..... need to pay more attention.

There was an article on this on yahoo, but, typically, they did not specify WHICH update was the broken one.....

Update: Try THIS article.

Yesterday I got 2 new updates (re-releases).... KB3024777 - Update for Windows 7 for x64 based systems and a re-release of the Microsoft Silverlight  update KB3011970.

I didn't have any issues with any of the 16+ I got on Tuesday but getting anything out of the planned sequence for updates means there is a serious patch needed or they mucked one up.

Thanks folks. Last night I was working with Arthmoor, trying to find and uninstall KB3004394. I see it in my Software Distribution folder and update history, but it doesn`t show in Program and Features/ Show Installed Updates sooo.. unable to uninstall. I did manually DL KB3024777 to a remote location but when I double click to activate it and Yes to the nannyware ... nothing happens.

HY, I tried the one you linked to but got blocked. I`m not worried about the Defender issue since I have MalwareBytes running, but being unable to get further updates is bad in the extreme. At this point I have hidden the updates and will try again later offline and in safemode. :shrug:

Ok, ran it ... lets see if it helped. Thank you Arion, cin all my searching I never got pointed to this.

EDIT 12-13-14: Nope, no change.

Edited by donnato

Do you have a restore point from before tuesday?

Not locally HY, my restore points start at 12-10 for some reason. I plugged in an old external HDD and found a backup from last july though. I see this as a last resort though.

Should be one RIGHT before it did that round of updates......

Try the windows repair tool.  Just run the windows update part. (once you page thru all the crap, to actually get TO the 'repair' part. and there is a long list of stuff it will repair. It won't hurt anything to run it all, but, some of them can take QUITE a while. file permissions for instance. :) )

Interesting, thank you HY. So I`m guessing that I`ll have so monitor the process for the popup stuff as opposed to letting it run over night? Also I scrolled down a bit and they mention some about running in safe mode?

You can run it in safe mode, but, you don't have to. Once I get to the repair part, I fire it off, and walk away. The rest should all be automated. I use this at work daily. I LOVE it. :)

Haven`t tried yet HY but, there was an important update waiting when I got home. KB915597 (definition 1.191.67.0) . I gave it a try and it successfully installed. This looks encouraging but I may have to reboot to see.

I think it was KB302447 or some such that was supposed to solve the issues....... check your update history, and see if that one is in there somewhere. (be sure to check history, NOT installed updates.)

Might wanna verify that is the correct number too..... :D

Well, on the 16th I was able to install KB915597, and then on the 17th I got KB2993928 installed. Haven`t seen the one you mentioned above.

It won't be in 'installed updates', but, it should be in 'update history'.