DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Problem Installing Bloodmoon

Vince

I have the original CDs for Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon.  Although I have successfully installed all three on several computers before, I'm having trouble installing Bloodmoon on my newest computer.  Everything is fine after installing Morrowind and Tribunal, but after installing Bloodmoon, I get an error at startup "Unable to Load snowflake:Meshes\BM_snow_01.nif".  This sounds like a problem with a BSA.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

The system is running Windows 7 Pro, with a i7-4790K (Devil's Canyon) 4.0 GHz processor with 8 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 780 GPU.

Although I don't care that much for Bloodmoon, I'd rather sort this out before installing MGE and the Morrowind Code Patch.  If I can resolve the problem with Bloodmoon, what happens if I install if after installing MGE and the Code Patch?

I've gone through a clean restore with no Morrowind and verified in the registry that Bethesda and Morrowind were not there.  I installed again, first Morrowind, then Tribunal, then Bloodmoon.  As before, I could run Morrowind with Tribunal, but as soon as I added Bloodmoon, I got the error described above.  Unchecking Bloodmoon,esm did not fix the problem.  In other words, once I installed Bloodmoon, I could no longer run Morrowind, with or without Tribunal or Bloodmoon.  I did try applying the 1.6 patch to Bloodmoon to no effect.

Edited by Vince

Standard installation problem. There is a specific order they need to be installed in, and I always thought Bloodmoon was last...... Yep, verified from a couple different sources.....

Getting any errors during the installation?

Should be able to fix it just by reinstalling bloodmoon.

HeyYou,  thanks for your reply.  No, I didn't get any error messages during installation.  Also, I added to my OP that, unfortunately, installing again didn't help.  :(

Since I don't care that much for Bloodmoon, I'm just going to go ahead and run Morrowind with Tribunal and add the mods (starting with MGE and the Morrowind Code Patch).

HeyYou, I don't understand exactly how to do what you suggest.  Also, I discovered to run MGE XE, "You must have Morrowind GOTY or Bloodmoon fully patched."  I tried with just Tribunal and just got a long list of errors.  So I can't use MGE until I figure how to install Bloodmoon on Win 7.  This is very disappointing.

Success!

<<< ALTHOUGH THE STEPS BELOW WORK.  INSTALLING SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\... MAKES THINGS MUCH EASIER.  SEE THE NEXT POST. >>>

Since two steps (installing Bloodmoon and installing MGE) are not straightforward, I owe it to my fellow gamers to document the solution.

Installing Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, and MGE on a Windows 7 System.  This assumes that you have separate CDs for Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon.  This also assumes you installed to the default directory, which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind.

In the steps below, "...\Morrowind" = C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind.

1> Install Morrowind in the default directory.  This should be straightforward.

2> Install Tribunal.  This too should be straightforward.

3> Install Bloodmoon, but do not run it yet.

4>  From the Bloodmoon CD, copy all the files from Data Files\Meshes to ...Morrowind\Data Files\Meshes.  This directory was empty before this step.

5> From the Bloodmoon CD, copy all the files from Data Files\Textures to ...Morrowind\Data Files\Textures.  This directory had one .tga file  before this step.

Now you can activate Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm and the game should run without errors.

6> If you try to install MGE by right clicking on it, then clicking 7-Zip to extract it to the ...\Morrowind folder you will get a bunch of errors.  This is because C:\Program Files (x86) is protected.  Instead, locate 7zFM.exe (default location is C:\Program Files\7-Zip).  Right click on it, then click on run as administrator.  Now find your downloaded MGE file (mine was MGE 3_8_0 Manual-5535.7z) and extract it to the ...\Morrowind folder.  You should now find MGEgui.exe in the ...\Morrowind folder.

7> For documentation, run MGEgui.exe and click on the [Help] button.  That will take you to the Sourceforge Morrowind Graphics Extender page at the Summary tab.  Click on the Files tab.  Click on Documentation Snapshots.  Click on Offline Documentation Snaps(hot for 3.8.0).  Download that.  Open the downloaded .zip file and click on morrgraphext.  Scroll down the list of files to Documentation.html, click on that and you're good to go.

I hope some will find this helpful.  :)

Edited by Vince

Installing Morrowind on a Windows 7 system from CDs the "right" way.

After several hours of searching the internet for issues installing Morrowind, I decided to start over.  Although many programs work best when installed in the default directory,  Program Files folders are protected in Windows 7, which causes several issues.  Remember that Morrowind was released before Vista or Win 7.  I found that installing in an unprotected folder made things much simpler.

So install in a non-protected folder, such as C:\Games\Morrowind.  If you do that, just install Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon in that order.  Then install the Bloodmoon official patch (Bloodmoon_v1.6.1820.exe).  When you launch Morrowind, at the screen where you can load a saved game, check that "1.6.1820" shows in the lower left corner and you're good to go. 

Extracting MGE into the Morrowind folder does not require administrative rights since it's not in a Program Files folder.

So, after most of a day trying to get things working from the default directory, I did it all in about 20 minutes, installing to a non-protected folder.  Have fun.  :)

I was going to suggest those steps, Vince, but you seemed to have worked everything out. Anyway, if you get crashes due to a BEX error, just follow these steps:

1. Click on start, then control panel.
  2. Click on System and Security.
  3. Click on System.
  4. Click on Advanced System settings.
  5. Click on the Settings button underneath Performance.
  6. Click on the data execution protection tab.
  7. Select the bottom radial button that says "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"
  8. Click on the add button and navigate to morrowind.exe.
  9. Select it and click Ok twice. Close all of the windows.

Note that this won't work with every program, like Steam games, because they use DEP and it can't be turned off.