DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Blender 2.49b --> Blender 2.72b

AlpineYJ

I've just learned (at least from reading on the NifTools forums) that version 2.72+ of Blender has Skyrim-friendly NifScripts integrated.  Apparently, it's been usable since October, and I missed the memo:

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5988

Has anybody made this jump?  If so, (in your opinion), how was it?  I want to do it, but I'm in the middle of about 5 projects.  I'm trying to decide if I should wait until my work load lightens up, or just take a week and do it right now. 

Thoughts/opinions?

Edited by AlpineYJ
  • Upvote 1

I would definitely recommend that you switch to 2.72 as it is a major step up from 2.49.  That being said, you may want to wait until you have some free time.  There's a lot that's different in 2.7x that you will need to learn.  For example, the new versions support N-gons, which significanly changes how you model.  Also, applying materials and textures with cycles render is very different than the standard Blender.  Cycles produces significantly better renders, but may not be what you want to use if you plan to export to .nif files.  I've been doing a good bit with 2.71 and cycles render, but haven't been exporting to .nifs.  Hopefully, someone else may be able to shed some light on that.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1

I've just learned (at least from reading on the NifTools forums) that version 2.72+ of Blender has Skyrim-friendly NifScripts integrated.  Apparently, it's been usable since October, and I missed the memo:

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5988

Has anybody made this jump?  If so, (in your opinion), how was it?  I want to do it, but I'm in the middle of about 5 projects.  I'm trying to decide if I should wait until my work load lightens up, or just take a week and do it right now. 

Thoughts/opinions?

No nif importer/exporter comes with 2.72, if I read the first sentence of your post correctly.

I think you should put off making the move until your workload lightens, to make the change easier and to avoid any import/export issues that might arise. Unless I'm mistaken, the nifscripts for 2.5+ aren't ready for production work. Just now I downloaded and tried the importer in 2.72 and it seemed to work fine, but I'm just playing around. With your workload you might not want to have 2 more issues: a wholly new user interface and a WIP exporter. I think you should focus on your projects.

On the other hand...

If you're very comfortable with 2.49 you won't have too much trouble making the move to 2.72. When I upgraded I got pretty comfortable pretty quickly. I hardly ever render so I don't use Cycles, and I've not found Ngons forcing me to change how I work (sorry Vince :pints: ). 2.72 is a beautiful change that, if you make it now, might make you wish you didn't. I open 2.49 now and am mildly sickened. :D

So depending on your familiarity with Blender, and your willingness to test the exporter, and your desire/need for sleep, you might be able to add "learn 2.72" to your project list.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

After multiple head-on-brick-wall collisions, I too have made the jump from 2.49b to 2.72b. I think it's much easier to do now, although the layout for a lot of the settings is completely different because of the change between UI. I am thinking of making a short tutorial going over it actually. It's quite a big leap and I was lost for a few weeks trying to find everything.