DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

New Computer For Xmas!

mALX

This is the best news EVAH!  I am getting a new PC for Xmas - actually won't get it till the first week of January.  

Here are the stats:

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU
16 GB DDR 3 Memory
240 GB SSD Drive 
1 TB Standard Drive
780 GTX Video Card
DVD RW Drive
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

He upgraded the power supply from the original order, and I know he will install it - but he left it off the ticket so I can't write what it is - all I know is that it is better than the 3.3 Ghz one I had on the original order.  

It only comes with a one year warranty on parts and labor, so I better be careful with it, lol.

Since I'm coming to this from an HP with an NVidia 8600 graphics card, I know it will be better than what I had - but don't know how it stacks up with today's PC's.    Can anyone tell me if this system is ok?
Edited by mALX
  • Upvote 1

If I remember correctly, when you install the Steam client it asks where you want to install it. I just made a folder called Steam on my games drive and pointed it there.

Thank you for your help!   Do you know where I would find the Games drive on a Windows 7 64 Bit OS?

Games drive is wherever you decide it should be. If you only have one drive, ( C:\) Just have steam install to C:\Games\Steam. May have to type the path in manually, if it asks if you want to create it, tell it "Yes". :)

This is a huge help, thank you very much!   I've read many times never to install the Bethesda games or Steam in the Program Files as of Vista, but no one ever gave an alternative of where to install it.  Without knowing - I was afraid to guess.

Thank you!

What a great Christmas present! Superb build :)

I am really so glad to hear that, because I really just let the store owner dictate what to put in it.   He was much more knowledgeable than I was, so I just agreed with everything he said to do.    Also,   I  bought my son a matching one for his Xmas present.   He plays a lot of online games that require a lot more powerful setup than he has had.  He picks his up today, I won't get mine till the first week of January.  

mALX, if you press the windows key it`ll bring up the start menu. Then go to Computer. That`ll show you any drive partitions he`s made for you. Originally I only had the one HDD and it was split into C and D drives. I installed all my game stuff onto my D drive and made folders for each one to keep things neat and tidy.

If, as HY said, you only have the C drive then just make a folder named Games into which you can make as many subfolders as you have space for.

mALX, if you press the windows key it`ll bring up the start menu. Then go to Computer. That`ll show you any drive partitions he`s made for you. Originally I only had the one HDD and it was split into C and D drives. I installed all my game stuff onto my D drive and made folders for each one to keep things neat and tidy.

If, as HY said, you only have the C drive then just make a folder named Games into which you can make as many subfolders as you have space for.

Okay - I can ask him to make a partition on mine, since he had to wait on parts for mine anyway.    If I have a separate partition, then where do I put the Steam/Skyrim  -  how do I install it on the partition?     (and how do I access that partition later to play the games)?

I really appreciate all this help!  Thank you!

if you have a seperate partition, it`ll show in the Computer part of your start menu. If your drive is split up into C and D .. or since you have a secondary drive.. G or H ... just pick one for your games and make a folder for Steam. Then direct Steam to install to that folder.

if you have a seperate partition, it`ll show in the Computer part of your start menu. If your drive is split up into C and D .. or since you have a secondary drive.. G or H ... just pick one for your games and make a folder for Steam. Then direct Steam to install to that folder.

Do I have to format that partition drive?  Will it have to have an OS?