DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CK Basics: General Questions

DarkRider

CK Basics: General Questions

2011-11-25_00004.jpg

As you make your way through the creation kit classes you may have some questions about what's being presented that need answering. Post your questions here and the CK Basics Scholar will answer as soon as possible to get you back on track. :smarty:

Have questions not related to the CK Basics course? Scholar offline? Post a thread in the Study Hall for some peer to peer support! :gather:

• 2 weeks later...

Error Warnings:

Set Form ID bashing entry in Form ID map? Form basher type Land_ID?

Next thing I know the land where my house used to sit is everywhere - covering everything -  and my house is completely gone, even from the Cell Items list.

If I close out and reload up the mod - when the mod first loads up the house is there if you exit an interior cell via a door to reach it;  but it is floating in the void as if it were in an interor cell.  

If you go to that exterior cell any way except via a door from the interior (example: if you click on it in the cell view window) - the house is gone;  the house static is not even in the list of items for that cell, it is gone.    

This is the second time this has happened in this particular cell; both times when I was working on the exterior NavMesh.     The first time was when I first started making this mod,  long before I merged the two ESP's  (so I know this issue isn't merge related; but may possibly be cell related or navmesh related).  

Anyone know what is causing that or how to fix it? It loaded a bunch of land onto my mod that wasn't there before  (seen in both the mod details before opening the mod up in the CK; and in the TESVEdit).    

Oh, and doing a regular mod cleaning via TES5Edit did NOT fix the issue; the CK kept crashing with that esp, I had to throw it out and start over.  

HELP  !!!!!!    Please?      

:(     

Edited by mALX

Hey,

I hope this is the correct place for this question.

I've been trying to work my way through the great Skyrim modding tutorial on these forums, and I've pretty much gotten to the end of the first lesson without any major issue,
Bar this one; On loading the CK for the first time along with the Skyrim.esm I had some error messages appear, I thought it's possibly mod(s) I've installed, but these plugins were not selected initially.

bhehoKO.png

The circles show the options chosen.

The CK seems to do everything else fine if I choose these actions, and while building the Lesson #1 plugin I didn't encounter any problems or during testing of the plugin.

Is this something I should be worried about? and if so how might I go about resolving this issue?

I can live with pressing 'Yes to all' & 'Retry', as longs as its not damaging/corrupting anything.
I'll also take this opportunity to mention I'm not a Computer Whiz by any stretch of the imagination, so please be patient!

Thank you.

:D

Edited by Zole

• 2 weeks later...

Error Warnings:

Set Form ID bashing entry in Form ID map? Form basher type Land_ID?

Next thing I know the land where my house used to sit is everywhere - covering everything -  and my house is completely gone, even from the Cell Items list.

If I close out and reload up the mod - when the mod first loads up the house is there if you exit an interior cell via a door to reach it;  but it is floating in the void as if it were in an interor cell.  

If you go to that exterior cell any way except via a door from the interior (example: if you click on it in the cell view window) - the house is gone;  the house static is not even in the list of items for that cell, it is gone.    

This is the second time this has happened in this particular cell; both times when I was working on the exterior NavMesh.     The first time was when I first started making this mod,  long before I merged the two ESP's  (so I know this issue isn't merge related; but may possibly be cell related or navmesh related).  

Anyone know what is causing that or how to fix it? It loaded a bunch of land onto my mod that wasn't there before  (seen in both the mod details before opening the mod up in the CK; and in the TESVEdit).    

Oh, and doing a regular mod cleaning via TES5Edit did NOT fix the issue; the CK kept crashing with that esp, I had to throw it out and start over.  

HELP  !!!!!!    Please?      

:(     

What were you doing before this happened? The precipitating event is missing from your report, what did you last do before the error showed up? As in, did you delete anything, clean the mod? It almost sounds like you cleaned those things from the mod using TES5Edit, it's actually a common mistake in mod cleaning. Could that be possible here? :idea:

I have moved the Error 37 issue here to the Study Hall: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/7423-sky-error-37-on-save/

This thread is for class questions, and only scholars should be answering questions here as it relates to the course. Since it's not an issue specific to the coursework you can get a much broader support response in the Study Hall, and it will be searchable there for others who may encounter the same issue, whereas it will get lost here once I archive this thread. Good Luck and if I have anything to add to that discussion, I certainly will! :salute:

I have moved the Error 37 issue here to the Study Hall: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/7423-sky-error-37-on-save/

This thread is for class questions, and only scholars should be answering questions here as it relates to the course. Since it's not an issue specific to the coursework you can get a much broader support response in the Study Hall, and it will be searchable there for others who may encounter the same issue, whereas it will get lost here once I archive this thread. Good Luck and if I have anything to add to that discussion, I certainly will! :salute:

Thank you. I do believe that I posted this problem before in the Study Hall, but I will see what happens.

• 1 month later...

What were you doing before this happened? The precipitating event is missing from your report, what did you last do before the error showed up? As in, did you delete anything, clean the mod? It almost sounds like you cleaned those things from the mod using TES5Edit, it's actually a common mistake in mod cleaning. Could that be possible here? :idea:

The only precipitating event both times was that I was nav-meshing - I said that in my original post, but might not have been clear enough in my explanation, sorry.  

I was nav-meshing the exterior both times this happened - in the mod everything looked good, was working on the exterior navmesh for a while, and one of the times I hit the W to view just the navmesh only - when I hit W again to see the land it was all over  the place - land covering the stables and horses, a big hole where the man-made pond was, the house gone.  

I can coc into the house, it is fine - but the exterior house is what is missing.  

So I reload a previous save of that esp;  and it is fine again.   Every thing is fine till I try to Navnesh again, then this happens again.   

This happened the first time I tried to navmesh this site,  before I had anything but the house and stables put in.    Aussie500 had just advised me to save a copy of the esp somewhere just in case before touching the navmesh in the exterior - thank Akatosh I listened to her!    

So I worked on the house all this time before trying to navmesh again, and as soon as I started in that exterior, the same thing happened again.   

I don't have any idea what is causing this, other than I know it has to do with the exterior navmesh and me doing something wrong with it.  

Edited by mALX

• 5 months later...

You'll want to review this section from Lesson #1

Part III: Building on the Grid

To maximize customization and uniqueness, most of Skyrim’s interiors are made up of several kit pieces locked together on the invisible grid, including farmhouse interiors. Click on the first piece of our farmhouse interior, tap A to turn on the work light, and you’ll be looking at something like this:

CK16.jpg

The rainbow colored cube around this piece of the house interior is the active highlight. Whatever object has that highlight around it is the object you can actively move with your mouse. Because we set this piece to the 0 point, we do not want to move it anymore. But, by holding shift and moving your mouse, you can practice moving your camera around this piece.

Learning the camera and getting used to the depth perception in a 3D drawing space are the two trickiest parts about learning how to mod. Once you get comfortable with moving the camera and using the keys, this sort of building will be something you can…and likely will…do in your sleep! If you do accidentally move your house, you can always tap ctrl+z to undo your last movement. Just be mindful of what you have highlighted and those accidents will be minimal.

We’re now ready to add some more pieces to the grid. To make sure we have no overlapping kits or open seams, we want to put our kits together using the snap to grid feature. On the main toolbar, click the preferences button to open the preferences dialog. Before using snap to grid for the first time, we want to change the default snap to grid distance from 64 to 16. Once you’ve changed this setting, click Apply and Close to set the changes.

CK17.jpg

With this narrower margin for error set, let’s turn on the Snap to Grid tool on the main toolbar to turn this function on. If you turn this tool on before dragging additional pieces into the render window, then everything you add will enter the window on grid, which is good, so make sure you turn it on before adding additional kits!

When ready, find our next kit piece in the Static list FarmInt2Doorway02NoDoor and drag it into the render window. Use your mouse and alternate holding the X,Z,C hotkeys to move this piece right alongside the first. You’ll notice that it moves more than one unit at a time, that’s the snap to grid feature at work.

Remember not to move that first piece, it’s the head of the snake, we need its position to ensure all the other pieces attached to it are aligned properly; it is the start of the grid. The grid is invisible, but when you have Snap to Grid turned on, the pieces are able to find the grid. If a piece is off grid a single point, every piece you add on to it will be off a point +1 so by the time to get to the end you have a gap 30 points wide! :shock:

Also this!

:smarty:Smarty Says: Finding Snap to Grid to be a challenge? Visit the Additional Information on Snap to Grid section of the CS Basics course Lesson #3. Aside from the layout of the Reference box, the technique is identical so it’s a valuable source of info for Oblivion and Skyrim modders alike.

Which is this section specifically. :dance:

Additional Information on Snap to Grid:

The very first piece you set always needs to be set to all 0.000 in all six columns, as we discussed in Lesson #1. That is the start of the grid. The grid is invisible, but when you have Snap to Grid turned on, the pieces find the grid. If a piece is off grid a single point, every piece you add on to it will be off a point +1 so by the time to get to the end you have a gap 30 points wide :shock:

:smarty: Smarty Says: Once you start building on grid, you can't just turn off snap to grid and handplace things by eyeballing it, it will never line up.

So, let's break down Snap to Grid in a little exercise, before we start, click on Preferences and make sure Snap to Grid is set at 16. When that's done, our first piece is the dreaded UngrdLway

Drop that piece into the render window, double click on it and take note of something here. The rotation columns are all set to 0. Because when you drop in a piece of anything it will always be at a 0 rotation. You have to rotate it yourself to change that.

grid01.jpg

This will be important later, go ahead and set the 3 position rows to 0.000 to set your first piece at the starting point. You should end up with this.

grid02.jpg

Now if you don't have Snap to Grid turned on, go ahead and turn it on now. Before you add a second piece, always make sure you have this tool turned on, or you will end up just above or below the grid and it can get messy.

With Snap to Grid turned on, click on your piece and hit ctrl+d to duplicate the LWay It may not look like anything but the duplicate is there. Now HOLD the X key, click the piece, and move your mouse to drag the piece. As long as you hold X your piece will only move on the X axis.

grid03.jpg

Now release X and hold Y, move it. You will see it only moves along the Y axis now. Despite all this moving we are actually still on the grid. We want to form a small square room but alas, this piece is identical to the first so it's walls are in the way. By rotating it, we can make it opposite of the original and they will fit together. [Note Here, the same is not to be done in cave kits where each rotation has a unique piece to line up textures, rotating caves mis-aligns textures so don't do that]

Release all keys, hold the right mouse button and move it to Z turn your piece. Turn it until it looks like the walls would form a U shape.

grid04.jpg

To be on grid your rotation has to be at a perfect angle, most common are -90, 0, 90, and 180. You know the piece starts at 0 so once you've rotated the piece so it's close, double click on it and see which whole number it's rotation is now closest to then manually set it to that number and click okay to lock it in.

grid05.jpg

When both pieces are on grid you can free hand drag them around and still stay on grid as long as Snap to Grid is turned on. You don't want to move your start point kit because that's what you build to, but now that your second piece is on grid and at the right angle, just snap them together like legos. When the Snap to Grid feature is on, your piece will move 16 units at a time.

Now we have two pieces together, let's kick it up a notch. Click on both piece by holding ctrl and clicking them in turn.

grid06.jpg

Now press ctrl+d to duplicate both pieces and pull them away

grid07.jpg

Just like duplicating dinner plates. XD

Now you want to rotate these new pieces, you can do them on at a time, or both together, just release all keys, hold the right mouse button and move it to Z turn your piece/s.

grid08.jpg

Once they are turned, we're going to double click on each in turn and even out the angle value. Close is never good enough. 89.999 not close enough, because each piece you add with add to that gap and it will become visible as a gap.

grid09.jpg

Now pieces are rotated, snap those legos to the others and we have a perfectly square room. :thumbup:

grid10.jpg

Make sure when you bring them together that you don't overshoot and overlap them, they just snap on next to one another. When you are done building, turn off snap to grid to clutter and place statics. Life is not on a grid, so use this feature to put kits together only.

That should help you master the skills. There is no way to see the grid unless there's a mod somewhere that allows it, Ive never heard of one myself. Like most things in modding the grid takes getting used to. I screwed up several things in my early mods due to snap to grid. :lmao:

• Upvote 1

Counters are kit pieces same as houses or dungeons, they are pieces of the same model, they were carved into pieces on a grid, so they are easiest to assemble on the grid. The technique is exactly the same as you should have used to assemble the house kit. House KIT is the same technique as counter KIT. :D

I reckon Unity has a snap to grid tool, Im not sure how it functions, this is a Creation Kit class. :)

Once they are snapped together you can select all the pieces and move or rotate them wherever you want them to be as a group. While you should always start large kits like houses or dungeons at 0,0,0 it's not required for small kits like counters BUT it's easier for beginners to learn if they are given specific coordinates. :)

It's fine if 0,0,0 overlaps the house, once your counter is complete, select all the parts and move it as one piece :ok:

• 2 weeks later...