DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Planter Guy Got Loose and Need Help Please

ashleyclark

This is a real situation, even if seems very funny, which it is.

I have this house mod I am making, and it is almost ready for publish. I have put in planters, with a separate cell that has 48 "planter guys" in it. All of them have different code numbers that I made using a new "card" each time. I am also a newbie to modding and this is my first mod. I am also in the classes that DarkRider has, although he is so busy that I just went on. I did the same with the soil by giving each soil a different name so that one soil was with one planter guy.

It seems as though I now have this planter guy who fast travels with me and is worse than a shadow. I have looked in all my files and found none of the planter guys that were used twice, and even went so far as to enclose the guys in a room in case one was slipping out through the floor. No help. The guys are in there own little cell, separate from the other cells, and are not attached by any portals.

I am about ready to delete all the guys, all the planters, all the soil and start over again. Is there any way to get rid of the planter guy who for some reason escaped?? When I am in the CK I cannot find him on the outside, where he shows up first, cannot find him on the inside, and there are no extra planter guys in their cell, and they are all accounted for.

Hope that all made sense.

Any ideas anyone on how to get rid of him??

Always test your mod with a new character. If you continue testing with the same save, over and over again after making changes to your mod, odd things will happen as information gets baked into your save. Sounds like that could be what's happening.

If that doesn't help, open your mod in TES5Edit, and verify how many NPC's are actually there. Check your cell, there may be an erroneous ref for this extra guy. Try cleaning your mod.

Now, having said that, 48 NPC's in one cell?! :o  That's a little overkill, and process intensive, especially if they are doing things. Could be another reason for your oddity. I assume you've navmeshed already?

(Also, a little aside, if you're currently in the CK Basics class, follow the class lesson. This is obviously not part of the lesson and you may be getting just a little ahead of yourself. There's also the Character Design classes that follow the CK Basics class that would have more information on NPC behaviour.)

Thank you for the info. The guy is for planting ingredients, and the tutorial said I needed to have a different guy for each plot of soil. And each plot of soil has to match the guy. Example. soil activator01 goes with planter npc 01, soil activator02 goes with planter npc02, etc. The tutorial also said that all these guys can be in one cell, tied in but separate from the mod. A utility room so to speak. I have 48 plots that can be planted and so there are 48 soil activators and 48 planter guys.

I did not know about testing with a different character each time. I have now learned a valuable lesson. Thank you.

Edited by ashleyclark

I did as you suggested, and went into Tes5Edit. There I deleted all the planter guys, which in turn also deleted the utility cell they were in. I re-tested the game and the planter guy is now gone. Whew !! Glad of that. I am in the process of re-doing that cell and re-adding the 48 planter guys for the planter boxes and soil.

Thank you very much for all the help you have given. DarkRider has been extremely busy, and I guess I got left behind on the lesson checking.

Always test your mod with a new character. If you continue testing with the same save, over and over again after making changes to your mod, odd things will happen as information gets baked into your save. 

Ooh, now that is something I did not know.   I have been doing this, will most def stop before some issues arise!   Thank you so much for that tip!  

(although I have been cleaning my mod with the CK Details window before any in game checks; I wonder if that kept me from having issues?)  

I did clean it with TES5Edit before and after merging the two ESP's, it went surprisingly trouble-free!  The only problem I had - I forgot the NPC and mannequin facegen, had gray-face issues; but immediately realized what had happened and moved those files over - issue fixed.

Thank you so much Hanaisse!

Edited by mALX

I did as you suggested, and went into Tes5Edit. There I deleted all the planter guys, which in turn also deleted the utility cell they were in. I re-tested the game and the planter guy is now gone. Whew !! Glad of that. I am in the process of re-doing that cell and re-adding the 48 planter guys for the planter boxes and soil.

Thank you very much for all the help you have given. DarkRider has been extremely busy, and I guess I got left behind on the lesson checking.

I'm sorry you had to delete everything, but perhaps redoing it will work next time. Also sorry for any confusion, I'm not aware of this tutorial you say you are following, as it's not one of DarkRiders. Putting 48 NPC's in a holding cell is fine. :)

(although I have been cleaning my mod with the CK Details window before any in game checks; I wonder if that kept me from having issues?)

If your mod is running any quests that are start game enabled, you've baked that in your save as soon as you load the game. If your mod is running any scripts, they will be baked into your save as soon as you load the game. If your mod has any persistent references that will be baked into your save as soon as you load the game. There are many other examples too.

To add to the tip; You don't always have to create a new character, you could use any of your characters, but make a specific save point BEFORE you activate your mod, then keep testing your mod from that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry you had to delete everything, but perhaps redoing it will work next time. Also sorry for any confusion, I'm not aware of this tutorial you say you are following, as it's not one of DarkRiders. Putting 48 NPC's in a holding cell is fine. :)

If your mod is running any quests that are start game enabled, you've baked that in your save as soon as you load the game. If your mod is running any scripts, they will be baked into your save as soon as you load the game. If your mod has any persistent references that will be baked into your save as soon as you load the game. There are many other examples too.

To add to the tip; You don't always have to create a new character, you could use any of your characters, but make a specific save point BEFORE you activate your mod, then keep testing your mod from that.

Oh these are great tips Hanaisse, Thank you so very much!  

I had been using one of my old saves to test and then exiting the game without saving, will that keep scripts from being baked in or will it still happen?   

Thanks. It is not one of DarkRiders, but from the Creation Kit tutorial, which I believe DarkRider had a big hand in writing. I had to do something while waiting in lesson 2, and now that classes have started this semester, I am bogged down with homework. lol  Yet thanks for the help. At least I got rid of the planter guy, and practice makes near perfect.