DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

In way over my head..

Zole

Ok, well as the title of the post suggests, I am in WAY over my head..

Some of you may have read my posted topic on the S.T.E.P. guide, well, I was going through it, and chose some choice texture mods and the like (nothing too heavy) and since then Skyrim will not start.

I was trying to run it through Mod Organizer using SKSE. and it has been working this way for well over a year. Though this time it just opens the SkyrimLauncher.  After some digging, I found some solutions that might be of some use. They all involved re installing some components, such as SKSE. After doing this, nothing worked. Running SKSE through Mod Organizer now just opens the Skyrim launcher. In fact, running the game from any source launches the SkyrimLauncher.exe and the "data files" are the official DLCs and the HighResTexture packs from Beth, and not the 130 or so mods I was running, Playing the game through the launcher brings a steam noticfaction up, saying it's about to launch, it then proceeds to open the launcher again... I have a launcher that launches a launcher.

So because I'm incappable of being smart enough to back everything up I've had to do a System Restore (Fortunatly I made a restore point just the other day). Only this didn't go so well, some of the files on my system couldn't be accessed (asumed to be my AvastAV) So then I tried turning off/ Uninstalling my AV for the purposes of the system restore. Still not working, so I think screw the system, restore, I'll figure this out myself. I can't do this though..

There is probably a lot more to this tale, and information that you guys needs but I hope someone can give me some advice.

To be honest, I just want the Vanilla game and CK back... I don't even care about the mods anymore.

I'm currently Downloading Skyrim once again, but have little faith it will work.

Thank you all in advance for you support and help.

:pc: <-This actually sums up exactly what has happened to me.. :/

UPDATE: Skyrim finished downloading from steam, tried to run it, and it asked for admin password which isn't normal..( I've made sure the compatibility tab under properties is correct.) when I enter the PW steam just says it's already running Skyrim. TaskManager assures me that this is not the case...

Edited by Zole

I am not really sure I have an idea on how to help you with that, but I can tell you one thing: You didn't see any mods in the data folder since Mod Organizer stores them in his folder under mods. One of the reason I use it myself.

If I have any idea on how to help you, I will let you know!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Will

This is the same reason I like to use MO, File Virtualisation or something, I was reffering to the "Data Files" option on the Skyrim Launcher, which should've been blanked out.

I've gotten to the point where I'm questioning my hobby as a gamer! [ :wallbash:]

Edited by Zole

Something is pointed at the wrong target.... SKSE_loader *should* automagically fire up the game...... if it doesn't, check your install folder, and make sure that TESV.exe is actually there. Might want to have Steam verify the game cache.

System restore does not always (rarely) go as planned.... I am just not a fan.

What you might want to do, is completely uninstall skyrim, delete any associated folders, reboot, and reinstall. Then make sure the base game actually works.

• Upvote 1

Steam is always open throughout this process. [ I did try offline just to be sure ]

Even without SKSE and all of it's components the launcher keeps starting itself.

So, i'm just running steam and trying to run skyrim now, I've taken MO and SKSE away from the equation, and verified the integirty of the game cache through steam.. and still just going in launcher circles.

I have a feeling i'm going to have to contact steam.. :/

Edited by Zole

Well it seems as though I've found a work around.

But this does not seem like a permanent solution..

After reinstalling any program affiliated with Skyrim in anyway whatsoever, e.g,  Steam, SKSE, MO, I decided to try and bypass the launcher. Creating the required INIs, Skyrimini & SkyrimPrefsini, myself before play [couldn't get initial creation to occur through play].

This gave me a good shot at my plan working of the bat, so to speak, giving the game everything it should need in order to run without fuss. This in it's self is just a prerequisite of the ENBInjector. The Skyrim INIs need to be written with the injector in mind. Then using the Injector.ini and simply change the "TargetProcess0 = skse_launcher .exe" leaving all the other process targets blank.

This action has not been required of me before. While not running the injector same issue as above seems to keep occurring with no apparent fix This has completely bypassed the launcher, therefore solving my problem, if only for now.

I can't thank you people enough for the help.

Glad I came to this community. :)

I'll update this if I manage to find a more permanent solution to the problem.

So my "temporary workaround" is still working for now, though I do get CTDs loading outside spaces, after about 2-3 hours of play. ( I can live with this if it's not damaging anything. )

Anything even remotely connected to Skyrim in anyway is completely free from hindering folders, (Program Files).

But the problems are still occuring, the game is incredibly unstable, and some loading screens take around 3-4 minutes, (sit in silence for 4 minutes, it's longer than it sounds..)

This is meant to be a vanilla installation but I've had to use ENBinjector to bypass the launcher issues.

I dare not try installing any mods through fear of triggering all these events again.. :l

If you don't have a boatload of stuff on there, I would be real tempted to do a wipe/reload, set the machine back to box stock, do your software cleanup, and then reinstall Steam, and your game, do some convenient folder outside of the various iterations of program files. :)

• Upvote 1