DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] New Mesh Invisible in CK

mellowtraumatic

Hey, guys. I've just started venturing into the world of 3ds max. I imported an obj and exported it to a nif, got some textures on it. Everything looked good, then I tried it out in the CK. The nif is a static barrel so I made a new static, chose my barrel nif and it showed up in the little preview window just fine, then when I dragged it into the Render Window, it was invisible. It was there and everything but just couldn't be seen. I'm at a loss here. Can anyone take a look at it for me? If someone would like to, I'd be happy to send it to you. :)

I hope you don't mind, mellow. It might help somebody else some day. :)

I can't tell if it was something you did, or the 3DS export scripts you're using that caused this (I've heard some do). But this is what you'll need to do to fix it.

* On each NiTriShape, go to the NiTriShapeData block. Change BS Num UV Sets from 1 to 4097. (1 is strictly for "skin", 4097 for everything else)

* Having that value as 1 causes the mesh to loose vital Tangent and Bitangent information, which is the cause of your invisible mesh. You can see that by expanding the Tangents and Bitangents lines. It's filled with 0's. To get this Tangent information back, once you've updated all 3 NiTriShapeData blocks per above, go up to the header of NifSkope to Spells > Batch > Update All Tangent Spaces.

* Double check each Tangents line again to make sure they now contain values.

Other than that, it's a very cute barrel. :)

If you need any help with the collision, just let me know!

• Upvote 2

Sorry, mellow, I should have tested deeper and tried it in the CK myself.

But, funny story :lol: It actually is there, you uh, just can't see it because it's the size of a speck of dust. XD

Here's a comparison to the vanilla barrel01.nif. See that little bitty red dot at the bottom of the barrel? That's your barrel.

post-1515-0-37555800-1422121100_thumb.jp

Even when scaled up x100 in Nifskope, it's still super small;

post-1515-0-83216700-1422121225_thumb.jp

When you import .obj's into 3D modeling programs (at least with Blender), they get resized. I thought it was x10, but I haven't done that in so long I can't remember. Anyway, what I would suggest is bring your barrel back into 3DS, then import a vanilla barrel. Use that to properly scale your model to the same size (doesn't have to be exact, however you want your barrel to look), delete the vanilla one then go through the export process again. You'll have to redo the clean up steps above too.

Also, to make your collision easy, if the barrels are the same size you can just re-use collision from vanilla. Copy your branches into a vanilla barrel, delete the vanilla barrel branch. It's also easier to test things in the CK when they have collision, that's what gives you the red/green/blue edit markers around them that you can grab.

I also found a couple of other errors. In your BSX flag you have Is a Skeleton checked that shouldn't be. And you should also change the name Scene Root to something else like Barrel.nif. (If you're going to use the collision trick I mentioned, you won't need to do these changes)

Let me know how it goes! :)

• Upvote 2

Well, after much hand wringing, hair pulling, and head scratching, I give you, the barrel! 

http://imgur.com/zjEFHrM

One thing that puzzled me this time, it exported it without a bsxflag node and I'm not sure what I did different. I exported it directly as a BSFadeNode, just like before. If I export it as a NiNode and run it through NifConvert, will it put that in? 

You can even take your actual nif (with BSFadeNode) and run it through NifConvert and it will put the BSX in.

Or you can copy the BSX from an existing barrel, just make sure that it is named "BSX" in the nif and not something else after you pasted it in.

• Upvote 1