DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Tech Advice] I thought I knew you..

Zole

Well as some of you have probably realized, I'm not very good at this computer malarkey, (letting my laptop try and boot from an UT2004 disc for weeks) although I thought I was compared to people around me in my everyday life. But as it turns out I'm about as well informed about my system (which I received as a gift from a friend that moved away) as a plank.

With a lot of recent system trouble and trouble getting even the smallest programs to run I've started to question my Laptop, though ti'm sure it's just me.

What I've been concerned with the most is pushing my poor little laptop too far, as I really don't know if this is an issue, I thought I'd get some advice from you brilliant people.

Firstly here's my system's specs, I've tried to look up the individual components online, but it's all just a lot of words I don't really understand. :shrug:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz 61 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0XN71K (CPU) 64 °C

Graphics
- Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
- 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

Device ID: 10DE-124D
Revision: A2
Subvendor: Dell (1028)
Current Performance Level: Level 2
Current GPU Clock: 202 MHz
Current Memory Clock: 324 MHz
Current Shader Clock: 405 MHz
Voltage: 0.820 V
Bus Interface: PCI Express x16
Temperature: 60 °C
Driver version: 9.18.13.4709
BIOS Version: 70.26.40.00.02
Physical Memory: 3071 MB
Virtual Memory: 3072 MB

Storage
698GB Western Digital WDC WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0 (SATA) 36 °C

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT40N

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Is this a decent gaming machine?

I'd like to know if what I have here is worth holding on to or should I maybe buy a more powerful system?

Also are there any known hardware/software issues with these components?

If these aren't very good, what components might be a better, but cost-effective alternative?

Any more information regarding this "set-up" would be hugely appreciated, as from what I can see at the moment, what I have  is a laptop...

I'll happily answer any other question about it, if I can.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Zole

If you have a restore partition, or disks, for your laptop, might not be a bad idea to simply nuke it clean, with a fresh install of the O/S. (that's what the restore partition/disks will do for you.) Sometimes, a nice, clean, install of windows solves a fair few issues. (ask Donnato. :) )

For a laptop, your machine isn't too bad. (and for the price, it's pretty good. :) ) Thing is, you can't really upgrade a laptop. Most of that stuff is soldered right to the boards. You can add more RAM, but, with what you already have, it won't help you. One of the things I have found though is: Laptops tend to come with a BUNCH of bloatware running in the background, all of which takes away resources you could be using for more important tasks. Like.... Gaming. :) Streamlining the system will likely give you better performance, and stability.

Still and all, I think one thing I would try first, is to back up all my data to an external drive, then do a factory reset on the machine. (puts the O/S back to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.) Boot it up, go thru the configuration it wants you to, then, go thru msconfig, and services, and turn off the crap you don't want/need. Reinstall your stuff, and see if things aren't any better.

• Upvote 1

Thanks!

This is good news I suppose!

I think I already got rid a lot, if not all of the bloatware, and I've changed the program that run on start-up and such which did free up about 10-15fps in game.

Everything runs fine (except skyrim: see other thread) and I don't have any issues, I was really just curious about all the mumbojumbo I didn't understand.

I'm begining to owe you one HUGE cookie HY. :)

Zole, you have a very nice lappy...but it IS a laptop. Your specs are better than my ASUS but I`ve been able to run everything up to skyrim nicely. Your lappy is definately a keeper, but you didn`t mention the make and model. You can also search,read,and learn about computer stuff at sites such as Tom`s Hardware (one that has helped me) .

Edited by donnato

Your specs sounds good for gaming, except the video card. That one is considered a "medium/high" level card (level to play Skyrim on). It most likely won't be able to handle graphic intensive mods well, nor ENB. You'll run out of VRAM quickly, which is a cause of CTD's.

This is all useful information, thank you.

I have used tom's hardware in the past, very informative site.

As for the make It's a Dell XPS L207x  ...? Maybe? :S

As for Graphics intensive mods, I tend to go for the 1024 options rather than the silly 2k ones. I did have ENB and some great texture mods running before "The Crashening", though this does now lead me to believe that may have been what caused the crashening.

It looks like your laptop is sharing memory with your system, which means the more it uses to display graphics, the less Windows has to work with. I wouldn't use ENB aside from the crash prevention parts. This guide is a good one to reduce (not eliminate) the number of crashes and slowdowns inherent to Skyrim. My wife and I use it and it seems to help quite a bit despite us using various texture replacers as well as the HD pack from Beth.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jac :thumbup:

That guide is very useful and I have utilized parts of it in the past and more than likely will again.

I've given up on making the game look stupidly realistic now anyway & a few HD textures and such is fine by me.