DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Came for the modding advice, might stick around awhile...

glenchild

Heyya!

I've been obsessing over Skyrim on-and-off since my bf introduced me to rpgs a year ago. I have been heavily modding my game since November, and, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to dive into mod-making.

I've been hanging out on the Papyrus forum because programming is hard to wrap my brain around. Hello to Ashenfire, who has been nice enough to dispense advice to a newbie scripter.

So. Question. I'm trying to decide whether to transform my 60% completed orc-stronghold mod (a small handfull exist, but I wanted to make my own) into a (re)build-your-own-stronghold mod. Which would be awesome, but a ton of work  (which would make that 60% more like only 10%). Has anyone seen anything like that out there? Any interest?

• Upvote 2

First off, welcome to TESA! :cookie4u:

I'd actually be interested in playing both variations of that idea. I don't recall seeing anything like a "build you own orc stronghold" mod, but maybe one of the more seasoned members here can be of more help.

:toast:

You are always welcome. :thumbup:

I always had interests like that. 

I don't like coming in 'brand new' and having to 'build my own typewriter' just to tell a story.

You then have to kill the squid, just to make the ink.

Then you have to cut the tree and pulp it, just to be able to create the book you are writing.

And so forth....

I am in the middle of a 'howto'  that allows modders to start with their own basic dungeon, with built in resources.

Those resources will not work since they are not part of the original .ESM files.  Beginners will not have to

'kill their own squids' or worry about the mechanics of the game.

So, your idea is welcome; especially if it helps begginners who want to get something done without worrying too

much about the mechanics of the game.

It is also welcome if the beginners want to learn the mechanics.

Edited by Ashenfire
  • Upvote 1

Hello and welcome to our family!

Always good to see people starting modding! But let me warn you, its more addictive then playing games. I have reached my 600h´s in Creation Kit just yesterday, so better bring a lot of time ;)

Now to your idea: A build your own stronghold is a nice idea. Myself, I work on a Hearthfire styled fort with player home, in short, a build your own fort mod. Believe me when I tell you, its a lot more work then you think, hell, even I didn't believe how much work it is (but I love working on it). And transforming is even more work and also a good way to get bugs. So if you really want todo that, let me give you the following tips:

1. Write down what you want to do! On a piece of paper or a words document, doesn't matter! Just keep track of what you do and split things in tasks. With scripting and all the build able stuff, it can get quite over overwhelming. Which brings me to...
  2. Name your items, objects, references, etc in CK in a certain way or system so you find stuff easy! I have about 25 build able objects so far, with a construction recipe for each one. And I only have the basic stuff so far! Also, I haven't even started the player home! So that will be at least 10 new for the outside plus I don't know how many for the inside! So keep track of what you make!
  3. Save often and test it in game! Whenever I am done with a new building, script, etc I save it, clean out any new bugs I can find (use TES5Edit) and test it. If it works, I save it in a backup folder and then start working on the next part. If it doesn't work, I fix it and don't work on something else until then! 
  4. Think of the NevMeshes! Don't save them for the end or you will have a bad time "fixing" them. 

These are probably the most important things to consider! At least in my eyes :D

Also sorry for my bad English, I haven't slept since at least 20h and yeah^^

• Upvote 1

@iWilliBlecha

Thanks for the pointers. I have about 200 hours in CK, just messing around and doing tutorials (200 hours in 3ish weeks ... man, when I obsess, I obsess), so I'm  really starting to get a feel for the tools.

Naming things to keep them organized is an excellent idea. Last night, I decided to relocate the exterior of my stronghold, so I'm still constructing the "finished" state. I figure I'll work backwards from there. Scripting will be the most frustrating part, I'm sure.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how (or know someone who knows how) to edit textures and meshes? I would like to edit existing game assets to create some more orc-ish resources, and, while I could learn how to do it myself, it would be more expedient to find a collaborator.

Thanks!

Okay, I can't focus on work, because I'm obsessing so much. :ermm:

I'm looking for opinions or suggestions for my orc stronghold.

Given the lack of orc-themed resources, I was thinking of combining the orc kit with another kit - perhaps the in-game imperial set. The idea would be that the stronghold builds up around an abandoned fort/ruin, which would function as the player/chieftain home. Would that be too weird/lore-unfriendly?

Okay, I can't focus on work, because I'm obsessing so much. :ermm:

I'm looking for opinions or suggestions for my orc stronghold.

Given the lack of orc-themed resources, I was thinking of combining the orc kit with another kit - perhaps the in-game imperial set. The idea would be that the stronghold builds up around an abandoned fort/ruin, which would function as the player/chieftain home. Would that be too weird/lore-unfriendly?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :D

It is not lore unfriendly if you are using vanilla.   Just make sure textures and dialogue are of tamriel, if you want to go beyond 'vanilla'.

I personally love broken down 'fixer uppers' and it makes me want to be more involved with the story lines associated with it.

Seems appropriate.

Well, I think I'm about done tweaking the exterior layout of my build-your-own orc stronghold. It's built around a small imperial fort with courtyard, has a mine, three huts, a meal hall/dormitory long house, a smith, space for gardening/farming, space along the river for a hatchery, and a small marketplace with three orc pavilions/stalls.

Now I have to work backwards, to it's unbuilt/ruin state. I should also sit down and plan out in detail the different build-your-own options. And then the multitude of little decorative details. And scripting.

I might steal a page out of your book, iWilliBlecha, and make a topic with itemized list to track my progress (mostly for my benefit, but, hey, why not share?).

Currently, an elk runs through the stronghold every time I start the game. I need to find where that little pest is spawning and redirect him.

1. Think of the NevMeshes! Don't save them for the end or you will have a bad time "fixing" them.

Oh, I thought of a question for you - can NavMeshes be changed/enabled/disabled like objects? I can probably work around it if I have to use the same navmesh for my before/unbuilt state and for my finished/built state, but it would be simpler if I could have separate navmeshes.

More ideas! I sorta want to implement a drink-brewing mechanic, like Heljarchen Farm does with mead, but I don't want to do mead, too. Setting up a mechanic to create wine out of jazbay grapes would be cool, but it doesn't seem very orc-ish to me. And ale out of just wheat seems boring. Hmm. Maybe I should just shelf the brewing idea for now.

Yeah, listen to me. You are about to make the first big mistake you can do: You are losing youself in ideas over ideas! Focus on what you need and want to do right now, which is making the ideas you already have happening, then, after you are done with the basic orc stronghold, then and only then, you should think about adding features like that.

It is very easy to lose yourself in ideas and then never really get anything done ;)

EDIT: My English has seen better days :/

Edited by iWilliBlecha
  • Upvote 1

More ideas! I sorta want to implement a drink-brewing mechanic, like Heljarchen Farm does with mead, but I don't want to do mead, too. Setting up a mechanic to create wine out of jazbay grapes would be cool, but it doesn't seem very orc-ish to me. And ale out of just wheat seems boring. Hmm. Maybe I should just shelf the brewing idea for now.

If you haven't consider to join the modding school then I suggest that you do just that.  I did that 2½ years ago and it was fun plus rewarding, but after I finish two CK lessons my inspiration was gone due to RL.