DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Scripting newbie, help with a companion mod?

Jurasiccorn

I'm well aqcuainted with the Creation Kit, not so much with scripting. I've been dissecting other mods, vanilla followers, and scouring the internet looking for scripts, but I can't find any that I can get to work. All I need are the simple follow, wait and trade scripts, just a base to work off of.

I may in future add one that allows the player to set up a custom home for the follower, but for right now I only want to get him up and working.

• 6 months later...

I also have a follower question.

I have no trouble at all creating a custom follower; he works, he acts like a vanilla follower; he can be married; he's basically perfect....

BUT...

I want to have multiple followers, and I do not want to have to use another mod (EFF, UFO, etc, etc).

I don't necessarily want 100 followers.  I just want to be able to have ONE additional follower in addition to my own.  I thought it would be simple -- I thought I'd make a "quest" to hold the script, and then write something very short like, "Game.getplayerfollower count, If playerfollowercount >=0, set playerfollowercount to 0" or something similar.  That way Lydia or Faendal or Serana (or whoever) won't say "Looks like you already have..." and will go ahead and become a follower. 

I don't want to do ANYTHING ELSE -- the follower himself works perfectly, and I don't want him to do a bunch of idles, ride horses, bite my neck , or anything else. 

I just want to have my follower plus any one other follower at the same time.

What should I write, and where should it go?  If it has to be attached to my follower, (Like you'd attach a script to an activator) how would I do that?

When I select "New Script" and type "AllaFollowerScript" then what should it extend?

Thanks!

The quickest way I can think of is to copy the vanilla follower script and comment out the set follower count line. Then you'll need to attach that script to your follower's quest instead of the vanilla script. You may need to create a new global variable that gets set to one whenever your follower is following so you can use it to filter his lines. The tutorial I linked above will work as well, but it's more complicated than just the small modifications above.