DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Problem with basic retexturing

somnomania

So I've been puttering around in the CK for a couple of weeks now (to the detriment of my few responsibilities and also my sleep) to try and make my ideal house. I'm working towards scary things like custom NPCs and scripting, but for now I'm just trying to assemble a building I'm happy with. I just got into retexturing tonight after getting frustrated with how different kits really don't work together very well, and I've run into some problems.

The new textures themselves are fine, and look fantastic in NifSkope on the models. My problem is with getting the retextured models into the CK without being big marker errors.

I've done everything right for file locations (data\meshes\etc and data\textures\etc respectively). All my textures and retextured meshes have distinct names that are different from the base versions. But I go into the CK, into Static, either make a new item or edit a duplicate, edit the model, navigate to my altered one saved from NifSkope, and then:

If it's editing a duplicate, it just shows up as the marker error with no available alternate textures listed, or any textures at all, in fact.

If I'm making a new item, it gives me a warning about how it couldn't find the model (that I just directed it to), and then the same issue with the marker error image.

I got an altered model to show up once, but then as soon as I'd closed the preview and then navigated around and previewed it again, it had become an error. As far as I know I hadn't done anything differently.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide, and I can provide whatever further details would help.

Press F5 to reload the cell, and see if that solves your problem. An exclamation mark instead of the proper model is a common glitch in the Creation Kit if you try to load a model for the first time in the rendering window.

Edited by Brady_The

The F5 can be tricky. You know when it works if the CK freeze for a moment. Save the mod with the new models, close the CK and reopen. The new models must be here (if they are placed correct in data files). There is a txt file "Editor warnings" in Skyrim folder, usually it points to the errors and missing files, so you can get some clues.

I saved and quit and reopened, and it still can't find the model. The editor warnings file says about it:

MODELS: Could not find model Dawnguard Recolors\meshes\dlc01\architecture\dawnguard\CopBlExtcorner01.nif

The previous part of the path for the file is Skyrim\Data\Meshes. I tried moving the file into Dawnguard Recolors\meshes so it didn't have to wade through so many folders (I don't know if that makes a difference), but still nothing.

Ah, so you're trying to use Dawnguard resources. That would have been helpful information in the first post. :)

Have you updated your SkyrimEditor ini to include the archives? Add the following;

[General]
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa

And did you load Dawnguard.esm when you opened the CK so it's a master?

Also, I'm not sure about your folder names. You're saying
"Dawnguard Recolors\meshes\dlc01\architecture\dawnguard\CopBlExtcorner01.nif"

If these are modified meshes anyways you don't need that long path. Try something like
"Data\Meshes\YourName\Dawnguard Recolors\architecture\....
That way it's all under a folder with your name so it's easy to find and you keep the folder directory as it was meant to be.

Yeah, I sorted out the multiple masters thing very early on, and the stuff under Archive was already there.

Progress! I did as you suggested with the folders, and suddenly on making a new item my recolor is there - except that one of the primary textures is missing and I'm getting the light purple instead. Whereas all the other textures on these Dawnguard pieces are the original textures of those pieces, just recolored, for this one I'm instead using a Snow Elf kit texture, also recolored. I've been applying the _n.dds file to match in NifSkope, but I don't know how that translates to the fact that I added the regular textures into the CK under Miscellaneous > TextureSet. I don't even know what the _n.dds variant is, besides the fact that it's purple when I open it in Photoshop.

Edit: It's not just that texture, apparently. I just tried sticking another piece in with all the same texture settings, and NONE of them showed up on it in the CK, despite all but the one working just fine on the other piece. ?_?

Edit 2: I've got it all sorted out now, I had to do the same thing to the folders for the textures and reassign everything and now it's showing up perfectly. Thanks so much for your help!  :D

Edited by somnomania