DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

REQz: Seeking some technical help with a custom creature skeleton and mesh

syscrusher

Greetings, all!

I am using an excellent tutorial from the CS wiki to create my first from-scratch creature for Oblivion. I've got a mesh (with temporary textures), skeleton, and rigging and skinning done. Everything works just fine in Blender, in pose mode. If I move the bones of my skeleton around, the mesh follows as intended. I also created the skeleton collision for ragdoll behavior, skeleton constraints, and the BSBounds object for weapon and spell impact detection.

The creature isn't yet animated. I know how to do that part, mostly, and I wanted to test the mesh and skeleton in the game engine before expending the vast effort to animate it.

This is where things have gone a bit wonky, and I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I don't want to post my mesh online, because it would be a total spoiler for my  new quest (an addition to Rathunas). The custom creature is intended to be my "boss" for the dungeon.

What's working:

• The mesh and textures look fine in the TestingHall.
  • Pose mode in Blender works perfectly, suggesting that animation will also work when I attempt it.
  • Cursor on the creature shows its human-visible name, and you can activate it as you would a vanilla creature.
  • The creature is selectable with the mouse in console mode.
  • With "motion guides" displayed via console command, you can see the collision mesh, and it looks correct.

What's not working:

• Collision with the player -- I can walk right through my creature.
  • Placement on a console disable/enable cycle -- it mysteriously translates and rotates on the z axis when you do this.
  • Ragdoll -- if I kill the creature, via console or attack, I crash to desktop.

I think my ragdoll problems may be because my constraints, which are all of the "ball joint" type, are not all correctly aimed along the axis of the bones. I know how to do that in NifSkope, but it's really tedious and would have to be repeated every time I re-export the skeleton. Hopefully that won't be too often, but during development it will happen a few times. One of the areas where I'd like to get some help is to understand how to set those constraints within Blender so they export correctly.

I also have a small number of bones that are not connected to parent bones; they just have an origin in space because for my animations they didn't *need* to be connected. But maybe Oblivion requires all bones to be connected?

The biggest problem, obviously, is the CTD when I try to ragdoll this beastie. That is, ummm, kind of a show-stopper. :-)

So, are there any creature animators out there who might be willing to take a look at my mesh (which I'll supply by private communication) and help me figure out where I'm being stupid?

Thanks for any help that someone might care to offer. :-)

Edited by syscrusher