Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dlf

Good SSD for improving load times?

I might wait to get a new SSD to put some games (Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind (does that really need to be on a SSD?), among others (?) to improve load times, but I'd think some suggestions could be helpful.

My current specs:

As I know I'm going to get asked:

- Why have a 2 & 3 TB?

- Why have two DVD drives?

My response:

• The 3 TB is primarily for my games (steam, origin, gog, uplay, retail, or misc ((G)Zdoom, pinball, Diablo 1 "HD" (fan-made), etc)). You can probably guess what my 2 TB is for (downloads, picture, music, small partition or two for Linux)
  • DVD players so I can still install (and install quicker) some retail games (Diablo 2, The Sims 1/2
  • I may at some point get a second SSD for (far) faster load times. I wouldn't want to use the "OS" SSD as that would probably wipe out any games and mods on that drive (if I have to format)
Edited by dlf

If I were you I would replace that 550W PSU to at least 700W or more considering how many devices you have installed.  I also recommend to use a Kingston SSD 120 Gb as a second SSD.

Have a look here for some comparisons of various drives. You can sort by whatever category is most important to you.

My experience is a good set of SSDs is a lot better that mechanical drives now, but I expect them to be dramatically better in the future.  My Mach V has two Crucial M550 512GB SSDs.  I've gotten used to it (aka spoiled) so when I go to another computer to do almost anything, I initially think something is wrong, before I realize it's just slower.  As fast as a good SSD is today, they still need to be compatible with the serial ATA (SATA) spec or similar that were initially designed for mechanical drives.  I believe as SSDs become more popular and their prices continue to fall, there will be one or more dedicated protocols for SSD's, with mechanical drives used only for longer term storage.  Falcon Northwest choose the drives, I didn't.  Based on my experience, I'd never go back and I found a SSD review that shows the M550 512GB on top (see below).

Since I have four systems connected to a KVM switch, I did an experiment.  I timed how long it takes to load up Inkscape with my custom default settings.  For my old XP system, it took about 50 seconds.  For my Win 7 government laptop it took 17 seconds.  For my Samsung Series 9, Win 7 laptop, with a 256GB Samsung SSD, it took about 7 seconds.  For the new Mach V it took about 3 seconds.  So both systems with SSDs were more than twice as fast as the relatively new government system with a mechanical drive.

EDIT: It seems that I'm behind the times.  The PCIe NVM Express dedicated SSD protocol is already here!  Damn, my "new" system is only 9 months old and it's already out of date.  So it goes.  :dry:

Note in the comparison below that there are a half dozen SSDs within 20% or so of the top Crucial.  Like I said, I can't imaging going back to mechanical disks, except for long term storage, kind of what we used to use tape for.

SSDs_Compared_zpszv0ru0cn.png

Edited by Vince

I just bought one:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE250BW) from Amazon.com (New) for less than it'd probably cost otherwise. I think I need a SATA and molex cable, I'd presume newegg should be fine for that?

Either that, or check with your local computer shops. I know we have a box full of SATA cables that will sell for a couple bucks a piece. Your power supply should have the correct power connectors already.

Even though I have a microcenter within driving distance I'm quite sure that the cables I'd most likely need would be far more expensive then if I got them from like Monoprice or newegg or Amazon.