DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Aysling's New Gaming Rig

I'm not crazy about micro-Atx boards, but if you're using onboard sound and won't be adding another GPU, they're worth the money. I'm replacing mine with a full ATX because my sound card blocks one of my fans. Plus my current board only has the one fan header and I have four case fans. Other than that, that looks like a good build. :)

I'm used to laptops, and I'm not crazy about switching to a desktop, so I was trying to keep it as small as possible - that'll make it easier to travel with.  I was eventually planning on adding a second GPU though.  Sound quality isn't a huge concern for me, I've always been fine with onboard =)  On pcpartpicker I built the base system (what you see here) and the 'I can't wait for Christmas' version with more ram, a second GPU, and a third hard drive.  Everything should work OK with the mobo (according to PPP), but they didn't have the case in their parts list.

Do you think it'll be an issue with the upgrades?

That MoBo only has one PCIe x16 slot. No dual GPU's for you. :D

Plus the 970 is a double height card so it takes up two slots instead of one. I have less than an inch of clearance between my sound card and my GPU, which is why I'm getting a larger MB. And Amazon has a great return policy, so I would just call them and tell them you want to swap out your MB with something else. My GPU gets so hot, I can feel the heat on the case...not good.

I have a CPU fan like yours and I like it. I can't overclock very far because of the MB, but I haven't had any heat related issues like I used to with my old AMD CPU. Make sure you put some thermal paste on your CPU before you install it and install the fan before you put the MB into the case due to the backplate. Good luck and happy gaming. :)

Edited by Jac