ladyonthemoon

game making
Launching myself into making games (using Unity, Unreal Engine, Blender etc.)

105 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is anyone here using Unity the game engine? I'd like to create a game with it but, even with the tutorials published, I have troubles finding my way into it...

Any advice would be welcome. ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon
New title and new tag

Have you checked out YouTube for tutorials?

It's a great resource for new developers. :)

Have you checked out YouTube for tutorials?

Ha! I like YT so few that I didn't even think of that! Thanks! :D

This one prefers the Creation Kit, if for no other reason than that you can see the mesh you're working with.

On 15/08/2015 at 5:39 PM, Tigersong said:

This one prefers the Creation Kit, if for no other reason than that you can see the mesh you're working with.

You cannot create your own game from scratch with the CK and sell it. :P

I'm launching myself; I'm going to make my own games with Unity, in parallel with modding for Skyrim and Oblivion. Switching from one to the other should avoid me some nasty burn out. ;)

I've begun making the first tutorial and learning the editor; quite exciting! Come on, launch yourselves, make your own games! :lol: 

A small step for Mankind, a huge step for me: I've learnt how to make a playground, a player, make it move using input keys and attached a camera to it so that it follows its displacements! How to add colours to objects too.

It's fun actually! :D

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Just finished the first tutorial with Unity, now I'm going to test Unreal Engine. ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Before beginning to learn Unreal Engine, I finished the first tutorial with Unity:

If you watch the video you'll see that I have some trouble directing the ball. This is due to the fact that the tutorial doesn't tell us how to set the input so that the mouse controls the ball while the keyboard directs it forward or backward. And I don't have the dexterity with the keys and the arrows.

So, what did I learn?

• create new game objects,

• position them in the scene,

• add new components to them,

• write our own custom behaviours using simple scripting,

• use lights and cameras,

• create and use colliders and triggers,

• collect and count objects.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

If you want to learn Unreal Engine, here are 200 videos for you (and for me :P)!

Click on the >>| button in the video toolbar to navigate to the next video and on the |<< to go to the previous one:

Edited by ladyonthemoon

It was something I never had time to pick up while doing RST, so once RST was done I started learning, made a couple resources for Skyrim. I've just continued learning as I started Witanlore. :yes:

On 11/04/2016 at 7:45 PM, DarkRider said:

It was something I never had time to pick up while doing RST, so once RST was done I started learning, made a couple resources for Skyrim. I've just continued learning as I started Witanlore. :yes:

How did you learn using Unreal? There is no structured course (as far as I know) with exercises; there are bunch of tutorials but it's quite difficult to determine where to begin.

I started with that same tutorial you linked above, and worked through all the tutorials on that series. I also read a lot of the written documentation on Epic's site. From there it was just learning what I needed on the fly. Need Time of Day? Google a Time of Day tutorial. Need Navmesh? Google a Navmesh tutorial. Over time it just sort of adds up. :D

44 minutes ago, DarkRider said:

I started with that same tutorial you linked above, and worked through all the tutorials on that series. I also read a lot of the written documentation on Epic's site. From there it was just learning what I needed on the fly. Need Time of Day? Google a Time of Day tutorial. Need Navmesh? Google a Navmesh tutorial. Over time it just sort of adds up. :D

Apparently it did add up! :D What did you do on Witanlore exactly? :P

I've decided to use the Epic Get Started with UE4 documentation as a guideline for now (scroll down to slip the obvious "Starting out" block). The first page works as a compilation of the important things that beginners can find in the doc; I've decided to go up (or down) the tree. Once I'm a bit more familiar with the editor, I'll go back to the video tutorials. ;)

Hey there, Lady! I'm in the first few segments of a scripting course for Unity that you might like. https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/learn/v4/overview

The same fellow also teaches Unreal Engine and Blender. If you want to branch out into JRPG's there's RPG Maker (the latest is MV but they have several versions, all different). Thanks for reminding me to keep at it. :)

9 minutes ago, Tigersong said:

Hey there, Lady! I'm in the first few segments of a scripting course for Unity that you might like. https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/learn/v4/overview

The same fellow also teaches Unreal Engine and Blender. If you want to branch out into JRPG's there's RPG Maker (the latest is MV but they have several versions, all different). Thanks for reminding me to keep at it. :)

RPG maker is not free...

Thanks for the tips anyway! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Apparently it did add up! :D What did you do on Witanlore exactly? :P

I'm the lead game designer and the project lead, so I created the universe and guide the design team through the planning and creating side. I also have done some 3D assets and 2D graphic art for the game as well as a bit of level design. As the project lead I have to have at least a working knowledge of all our depts/systems so even though I don't work in the engine daily, I still have to know how it works :D

Witanlore is definitely a team effort :yes:

So, where am I with Unreal Engine? Well I just finished my first level! I followed the tutorial series here and did a few things of my own, as usual! ;)

The first video gives an idea of what I've learnt:

I still want to make some improvements of my own to the result; so I'll publish a video as soon as possible. ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Oops, I've forgotten about that video I wanted to make. I'll do it soon.

In the meantime I didn't lose my Sunday morning; I just added night and day cycle to my current draft of a project. I used this tutorial and the video that is attached to it (there's a link within the text: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Tutorial:_Time_of_Day

I also used this answer to a problem where the sun didn't move: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/157553/day-night-cycle-pieerror-error-accessed-none-direc.html

And here is the result!

Now I have to remember how I did it! :lol:

Note: the recording has been made by using the "Matinee" in engine feature.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

One of the first blueprints I did too, great job! :clap:

41 minutes ago, DarkRider said:

One of the first blueprints I did too, great job! :clap:

Thank you! :D

And now the video of the work I did on this tutorial I mentioned days ago:

On 27/04/2016 at 8:03 PM, ladyonthemoon said:

So, where am I with Unreal Engine? Well I just finished my first level! I followed the tutorial series here  ...

I'm worrying a lot because, once finished, I had awful lag... I hope I'll find out why and how to fix this in the future. Here is the video:

:)