ladyonthemoon

game making
Launching myself into making games (using Unity, Unreal Engine, Blender etc.)

106 posts in this topic

Hey @rona! I'm glad I'm not alone here!

There is not much I can say right now since I need to buy a new computer and I cannot use Unity... Neither can I play or mod.

I'll update this thread as soon as I can.

Nice job with your game! :good:

Thank you very much! I am sorry to hear about your troubles. When everything is sorted out, maybe we can work together learning some stuff?

I know how everything can be overwhelming, there are so many things to learn. I am trying to pace myself and start at a point. Having someone as a soundboard and fellow student will be a great help.

I also want to ask if I may post some things in the Indie forum about where to find good tutorials about certain aspects of 2D game concepts, and some good C# learning sites, maybe there are other people who will be interested and want to learn.

1 hour ago, rona said:

I also want to ask if I may post some things in the Indie forum about where to find good tutorials about certain aspects of 2D game concepts, and some good C# learning sites, maybe there are other people who will be interested and want to learn.

I see no problem with that, might be useful to have a topic where members can post good tutorial stuff they've found.

On 25/01/2017 at 9:28 AM, rona said:

Thank you very much! I am sorry to hear about your troubles. When everything is sorted out, maybe we can work together learning some stuff?

I don't see any harm in this; what is your username on the Unity3d forums? I'm not sure about Discord; the name, you know... ;)

LoL! My username is "ronahattingh". But you will see that I am not/ very little active at Unity. I use them mostly for research. Nearly every question asked you can find there somewhere.

Posted (edited)

It's been a while since I've posted here! Now that I have a new computer, I'm back.

I've recently learnt how to localize a game! :dance: In case you wouldn't know, localizing a game means making it available in different languages and I've learnt this by following this tutorial: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/overview-and-goals

Thing I've noticed too, it seems that I'm beginning to be able to write scripts, small ones, without having to scout the web about "how to do this/how to do that". Solutions begin to loom in my rusted mind! Hope, people, hope... ;)

-----oOo-----

On the projects front, I'm not sure where this is going but I've begun something, that should be like a first person shooter, somewhere in the middle of an ocean, on hovering platforms... After all, we live in an absurd world! ;)

Sans-titre-1.thumb.gif.190d9d978eb7b0ca4ccbb2ef084c06ae.gif

I made the ocean you can see on the image; it's made of one only texture I made using that image editor and I use three times:

1. texture and normal map (the blue one),
  2. height map (the black and white one).

Water.jpg.b71a93d68323c0a7e9fbe89dbae7bbc2.jpg

The texture is transparent and has a colour added to it, witch also has transparency. The ocean is somehow "animated" via a script that I found in that tutorial (this one I wouldn't be able to write by myself): https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/graphics/realtime-global-illumination-daynight-cycle and that reads:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class Ocean : MonoBehaviour
{
	public Renderer water;

void Update ()
	{
		water.material.mainTextureOffset = new Vector2 (0, Time.time / 100);
		water.material.SetTextureOffset ("_DetailAlbedoMap", new Vector2 (0, Time.time / 80)); 
	}
}

Edited by ladyonthemoon