DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Trouble compiling with either Notepad++ or the CK

Noobsayer

I'm working more with Chesko's Campfire devkit, and he straight up gave me the code to get something I want to happen.

; rusey_CampTent.psc
scriptname rusey_CampTent extends CampTent

function PlaceObject_PlayerShield()
myPlayerMarker_ShieldFuture = PlacementSystem.PlaceObject(self, XMarker, PositionRef_Player_Shield)
endFunction

So it's not a matter of coding the script, just compiling it. I followed the instructions here to set up Notepad++. My install is at C:\Games, so I changed the to:

cd %2
if defined Games (
"%Games%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Papyrus Compiler\PapyrusCompiler.exe" %1 -f="TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg" -i="%Games%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source" -o="%Games%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts"
) else (
"%Games%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Papyrus Compiler\PapyrusCompiler.exe" %1 -f="TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg" -i="%Games%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source" -o="%Games%\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts"
)
pause

I guess that's right? Or maybe not, because it won't compile. The error: clickie

I also tried compiling it through the CK but no dice there either. That error: clickie

I have no idea where to go from here. My scripts are in the .rar (I saw that as a source of errors) but since I'm extending a non-Skyrim script, I assumed that didn't matter.

Edited by Noobsayer

When you compile through the CK click on the failed script (nothing selected is why no helpful error message is visible) and post the actual error text here if you could.

Edited by Vain

Hey, thanks for the response! This is what I get:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...Compiling "RuseCampTent"...
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\RuseCampTent.psc(0,0): unable to locate script CampTent
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\RuseCampTent.psc(5,0): variable myPlayerMarker_ShieldFuture is undefined
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\RuseCampTent.psc(5,30): variable PlacementSystem is undefined
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\RuseCampTent.psc(5,64): variable XMarker is undefined
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\RuseCampTent.psc(5,73): variable PositionRef_Player_Shield is undefined
c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\RuseCampTent.psc(5,46): none is not a known user-defined type
No output generated for RuseCampTent, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on RuseCampTent

So it seems like the problem is that it can't find the original Campfire script. I'm running the CK outside of MO because the workaround to let it work through MO didn't ... uh, work for me. I tried manually placing the Campfire script in Data/Scripts but I get the same error. Where should I place that script so the CK sees it (to be deleted right after I'm done, of course).

Also, the Campfire script is in .pex format. I assume that's OK?

I dunno what MO is... 

The .pex format is what is generated when a script is compiled.  When compiling scrips that extend another script, the CK does not look at a .pex file, but searches only for the .psc.

I ran into a similar problem with the vampirism scripts in skyrim.  Dawnguard added new variables that were not present in the original script and so any changes to the Dawnguard script could not compile because they were not present in the original script.  You see here where the .pex file is not used.  Built in scripts do not have .pex files, these are only user generated.  And I could not add the missing variables then compile the vanilla vampirism script without breaking the game.  I had to add the missing variables to the original .psc file, NOT compile it again, save it outside the CK, and then compile my new Dawnguard script.  Read the first post of this thread if you have any questions - it explains in further detail and may have your answer.

So the issue here is you have all these variables that are not defined.  You will need to define them either in your script or in the CampTent script.  Since you only have the .pex file for CampTent you can only add the variables to your script but if the undefined variables are contained in the CampTent script, you are out of luck and will have to rewrite the CampTent script so that you will have a .psc for it.j

MO = Mod Organizer. It doesn't actually put anything into your Skyrim folder, which is why I wondered where the CK expects to find the CampTent script in my example (I was going to put it in there manually).

When compiling scrips that extend another script, the CK does not look at a .pex file, but searches only for the .psc.

I'll check the link, but you're saying that unless I have a .psc version of CampTent, I can't compile, even if I define those variables in mine?

From everything I've learned, not that I've looked it up anywhere, Skryim does not use .psc files and the CK does not use .pex files (except insofar as they are generated during compilation, a necessary step in order to get the CK to recognize player-made scripts).

Theres no point placing it in the Scripts.rar file as thats how the scripts are delivered to you, theres nothing in Skyrim or the CK that can read WinRAR files, thats for you to extract from.

There are all sorts of problems getting the CK and MO to co-operate, the problem is the CK expects script source files (.psc) to be in Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source folder and MO places them elsewhere or expects the compiled scripts to be elsewhere. It can be done (try searching the Nexus forums for a solution) but its the main reason I don't use it, its too much hassle for my liking.

Edited by soupdragon