DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Need someone to 'splain blood splatter to me

TigerCubofPNW

I don't get it. And Google has yielded no results.

I'm trying to add blood spatter to the ground as a clue for a mystery mod. According to the very thin Google results, even though the TEXT shows up as an arrow in the render window, it really really is a blood splatter. But nothing. I put in several in case they were too small to see, blew one up to huge size. Nada.

Also according to my tiny Google results, I am supposed to be able to see the blood splatter as blood splatter if I go to the Show/Hide menu and click that I want to view decals. So I did that. Nothing. No sign of blood. Only arrows which lie and say they really will be blood in the game. Is my Skyrim/CK messed up in some way? I assume that is something amusing about needing to unpack the textures (and create ungodly clutter) in my Textures folder. I can live without seeing it, if so. But that shouldn't have any effect on adding blood splatter to the game.... RIght?

Also, after ticking that I wanted to see decals, there was no "save preferences" button so I just closed the Show/Hide window which unticked the show decals thing. Is that normal?

So.... Yeah. I'm hoping there is a Bloodologist here who specializes in putting blood splatter everywhere and can instruct me with something along the lines of, "Okay, doofus, you just do this. See?"

*puts out a plate of cookies and waits*

For instance, take the TextureSet DecalBloodSprayGround and place the arrow.

The blood will only appear where the arrow points to, so make sure that the arrow is lot lying on the ground https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gCPNeqRU17ROfuStztQZtxCFLCnzsD7qR454jiW1kGM?feat=directlink

but points downwards  https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zYlGrIC9SUCMyY9pbSwbdRCFLCnzsD7qR454jiW1kGM?feat=directlink

Did that answer your question?

To actually see the blood splatters in the render window, first open the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini file you'll find in the main Skyrim directory (the one where the executables are), look for the line:

[MAIN]
bShowDecals=1

and make sure it's set to 1. Then, if the blood splatter doesn't show when you place it, refresh the render window by pressing F5.

Note: after modifying the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini, opening the "show/hide" window will screw your settings. To avoid this, I would recommend that you put the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini on "read only". By doing this, you will be able to use the show/hide window as you see fit but the new settings will be temporary. :)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

For instance, take the TextureSet DecalBloodSprayGround and place the arrow.

The blood will only appear where the arrow points to, so make sure that the arrow is lot lying on the ground https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gCPNeqRU17ROfuStztQZtxCFLCnzsD7qR454jiW1kGM?feat=directlink

but points downwards  https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zYlGrIC9SUCMyY9pbSwbdRCFLCnzsD7qR454jiW1kGM?feat=directlink

Did that answer your question?

Holy crap, really? Everything I read said the arrow indictated the direction the blood was spraying. Okay, I'll have to try that. Thank you!

To actually see the blood splatters in the render window, first open the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini file you'll find in the main Skyrim directory (the one where the executables are), look for the line:

[MAIN]
bShowDecals=1

and make sure it's set to 1. Then, if the blood splatter doesn't show when you place it, refresh the render window by pressing F5.

Note: after modifying the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini, opening the "show/hide" window will screw your settings. To avoid this, I would recommend that you put the SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini on "read only". By doing this, you will be able to use the show/hide window as you see fit but the new settings will be temporary. :)

How sneaky!! Okay, I'll play with that. Much thanks!