DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Sky] Trying to copy UV Maps and it's not working.

Noobsayer

I started with Insanity's igloo meshes. I wanted it to have a real opening. Got it imported into blender fine, now has a real opening, and I can export and use it in Skyrim just fine.

Problem is the UV mapping is all borked. This is how the UV mapping looks on the original igloo: linkie

At first I tried exporting the template from nifskope, then setting the UV texture to that in Blender. Still borked.

Then I googled about copying UV mapping from one item to another in blender, but I'm missing something. I keep reading instructions that say:

1) Select object you want to copy TO

2) Shift select object you want to copy FROM

3) Control + L to link

... except I don't have the UV mapping option people keep referencing. See?

I've been playing with this a long time, googling all kinds of tutorials etc., but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. If anyone can walk me through it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Unless I can figure this out, I'm going to have to give up on what I wanted to do for this mod.

Edited by Noobsayer

I can't even begin to understand what you have done to the mesh, besides subsurfed it a billion times or scaled it x100, XD which of course is going to mess up the scale of the UV map.

Might I suggest you go back, and also read this to set the existing UV map BEFORE you do any editing. If you're scaling the mesh, you can also scale the UV map in the same way.

• 1 month later...

There's no way to 'unreset' (if it is reset) unless you have a blender save from some point before you did any editing.

I'm guessing here, but did you make a copy of the original and worked on the copy? If you did (more guessing) did you link the copy to the original? (CTRL-L from your 1st post) If you did, you followed not-so-good advice, but I have a fix. If my guesses are right. :D

Meanwhile Hana's right:

No need to bother with Copy UV map. Once you import the mesh, you have the UV map.

You haven't provided a pic of what you mean by "the UV map is borked".

This is your problem. You should have the UV map. But by following incorrect advice and doing CTRL-L you linked the original with your copy (if you made a copy to work on) so when you edit the copy, the original gets "borked" right along with it. I have ideas how to correct it, if that's the case. If I'm wrong I'd still like that cookie for trying to fix my/your imagined problem. :lmao:

If none of that made sense, just do this: Get 2 pics: one showing your entire model selected in edit mode, and one of your model's borked UVs, to satisfy my crazy curiosity, and to show Hana you're listening. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I didn't do the editing at all (I just set it up to be importable into Blender following tutorials here) -- I just tried to fix it. :)

I'll have a look at that UV tutorial. I hadn't had a chance to check it out yet, and when someone offered a potential solution, I figured I'd take the easy way if it existed. Thanks for the link.