DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

I need help with 3ds and armor creation

gunslinger6792

I'm trying to create an armor mash up for the first time in skyrim and it has thus far proven to be a hell of a lot harder than it was for fallout new vegas. I've created  and 0 and 1 version of the armor and made sure that I have the same number of vertices. In nifskope after I redid the BsShader stuff the armor looked like it should so I added in the nif files into the meshes folder (I modified the northman armor by replacing the arms with that of the hunter armor) In game though when I equip it the armor is either completely invisible if I set my character to either the largest or smallest his weight slider can go or the armor has long black panel lines (it's like a giant paper think rectangle shooting out of the character in four directions.) Any and all help would be appreciated. I've heard it could be a weighting problem but none of the tutorials I've found even mention re weighting the armor when doing basic work. I'm also using 3ds max 2014 with the 2013 plugin by tesrenewal which I know isn't ideal but I can't legally get a pre 2014 version of 3ds max.

I also tried doing the work and blender by following Hanaisse's Creating skyrim armor tutorial and got as far as part 4 step 4 subsection 1 before becoming utterly confused. My armour that I'm working with isn't a single mesh but several meshes placed together (chest, arms, cape thing, cape thing ring, belt, you get the idea) I'm not sure if I'm supposed to repeat those steps for every piece or not.

Finally I've tried getting help on the nexus and besides one person telling me to go the beyond skyrim page for help Nobody has even commented. So I'm getting a tad desperate for help. I'm willing to learn I just can't find anyone to help me or answer basic questions about 3ds max or blender. I'm sorry if I'm asking for a lot here and I understand if what I'm looking for is a lot of work. 

You have two issues here.

One of the tips in my tutorials is to make the _0 version first, getting it all the way into the game to test it before modifying it for the _1 version. You could have noticed the main issue of the armor being invisible before the 2nd issue of the weight painting spikes. :)

Obviously I can only help specific to Blender but if you only know your way around 3DS you can still follow the principles of my tutorial. To answer your question, yes, if the armor is made up of several objects then you must repeat those steps for every object.

As for the invisibility, it could be a simple setting in the nif. For each NiTriShape, look at the NiTriShapeData values. The BS Num UV sets option should equal 4097 for armor parts, and 1 for skin parts. This is a common mistake. Also check the Has Vertex Colors setting. If it says No, make sure there is no vertex colors shader flag in your BSLightingShaderProperties.

For the weight painting spikes, there's no easy fix. Redo it (after you make sure your _0 works).

If you can upload or PM me your nif files, I can take a closer look rather than keep guessing.

Hmm..

The invisibility may possibly be caused by two NiTriShapes that have the same name - 8 NiTriShape robemorph, and 15 NiTriShape robemorph. Rename one of them and test again.

Also, 22 NiTriShape Body is totally unnecessary. You won't even see the body/skin under this outfit. It also has incorrect shader options which could be causing issues. Just remove that NiTriShape altogether.