DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Is this recoverable or am I just f'ed?

jamochawoke

My hard drive I was backing up my files to and the main hard drive both died the other day at the same time. I do have a back up copy of all my project files on an external USB disk but it is 6 months old. I finally recovered my project... or so I thought.

When I open the master plugin file that had all of my level design data and scripts on it I get this screen:

Bxect7m.jpg

If I "truncate" the file it takes it from a 2.56 mb file to a 640 kb file and doesn't have the data in it. If I don't truncate the file like 90% of the data is missing...

How would I go about doing that? I've not used TES4Edit very much at all and aside from once cleaning a mod for dirty edits I don't know what I'm doing.

I opened the .esp in TES4Edit and there's tons and tons of records marked "00000000" that are above the file header. Trying to click on them results in access violations. 

I'm noticing tons of things are missing like cells, armors, et cetera. Think those are what have turned into the "00000000"s?

Also upon further investigation I found out that I may have had it corrupted when I was attempting to save what I was working on when my disk went bad. My monitor was flickering on and off and the disk was spinning strangely...

So what I ended up doing was spamming the save key hoping it would save and then the main hdd and backup hdd died on me and my PC shut down. On restart it threw up an unmountable drive error. I tried to repair windows, fixboot, et cetera but it refused to boot. I eventually got all the files off by linking it to another PC and giving admin access to the drive.

When I checked that file it was in that state. My gut is telling me it was saving the file when the HDD's died and thus got an incomplete write. At this point I would do anything to get my data back... as it is literally over a year's worth of work (my last backup that's on another drive is a year old).

Hope you are able to recover your data, I know how devastating that can be. I lost the first year of work on RST when my HD died, had to start all over again, but if it's any consolation, I think what I ended up with as a result was 10x better than the first version I lost. Good Luck! :toast: