DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY]Desperately Seeking Blender Help (Solved)

TigerCubofPNW

This is going to be lengthy. Apologies in advance.

So, for a long time I have struggled to get Blender and the half dozen apps it needs to all work in harmony so I can do some mesh edits. I finally seem to have something. I was able to import a body and an armor and adapt the armor the way I wanted. Then things went askew during the export process.

Using this guide: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Skyrim._Part_1 I made all the changes needed and added things like weights and UV and everything. As per the instructions, I selected everything and clicked on the "Scale and Rotation to ObData" option.

When I clicked export, it errored saying I had not done the scale and rotation for the "eyeball.001", which was a surprise as there was no head in the body I was working with. It turned out that "eyeball.001" is some sort of tool. In the attached image, it's the black ball thing. Not sure what it's for.

Anyway, I cannot do anything to eyeball.001. It won't do the scale and rotation because it has multiple users. When I try to change it to just have a single user, instead of editing the eyeball.001 object it makes a copy of the eyeball.001 object with my changes and leaves the eyeball.001 intact. I can't delete it because I can't select only it. The armor gets selected too. So this is basically an insurmountable barrier as is.

My confusion is I don't even know where to start with the issue. I thought maybe the blender nif scripts weren't properly installed, but if that were the case, could I even import the armor? Is this eyeball object something that shouldn't even be there? And if not, why is it? How do I remove it? I know it's not a result of my edits, because I have imported a clean version of the armor and the eyeball is there from the start.

Google has yielded zero results on this, which worries me because that indicates this is not a common issue and likely something I did wrong.

Okay, now, full disclosure. The blender I am using is basically an all-in-one package thing. It came with the Pyffi already in it. I can't say for absolute certain if the nif scripts are installed correctly. But like I said, the armor and body import as normal.

So the logical thing is to just install a basic version of Blender 2.49b and then add in the scripts myself, right? No dice. I wiped the blender package off my computer, installed straight blender 2.49b, installed Pyffi and then tried to install blender nifscripts and hit the "Blender not found" error. The install file for nifscripts was in the same folder with the blender.exe file, so that made no sense. Dowloaded and tried multiple copies of nifscripts 2.5.8 and 2.5.9 and hit the same exact problem.

The programs I am using are Python 2.6.6, Blender 2.49b PyFFI 2.2.2 and Blender NifScripts 2.5.8

I just honestly don't even know what avenue to pursue here so I am hoping some wise computer person here can point me in the right direction.

blenderissue01.jpg

Edited by TigerCubofPNW
SOLVED

Hi TigerCub,

First, I`m going to suggest you re-install Blender and all it`s dependencies. Go to the official support page, and download each from there. That is the only combination that will work (for 2.49).

Second, what armor are you trying to work on. It could be something strange going on with that, and nothing you did. I`d like to take a look at it.

• Upvote 1

Hi TigerCub,

First, I`m going to suggest you re-install Blender and all it`s dependencies. Go to the official support page, and download each from there. That is the only combination that will work (for 2.49).

Second, what armor are you trying to work on. It could be something strange going on with that, and nothing you did. I`d like to take a look at it.

Thank you for the response. I will do another re-load. But like I said, I kept hitting the "can't find Blender" error when I tried to re-install nifscripts. I'll report back with my results but I am not hopeful.

The armor I am modding is the Imperial Light Cuirass. Again, I'd easily accept I did something dumb, but I did open the armor up again, clean without any alterations, and it had the eyeball.001.

What's the specific NIF file that has the eyeball.001? I've checked all the imperial light cuirass NIFs and they all seem fine. Maybe try extracting Skyrim - Meshes.bsa again to get a fresh copy of the NIF.

That's fascinating and disturbing.

meshes\armor\imperiai\m\cuirasslight_0.nif

That's the one I'm playing with. In Blender, if you go to the Links and Materials tab, and the ME: CuriassTrooperLight and click on the up/down arrow  to go to Data/Browse, that's where I find this eyeball.

But this helps me a lot by at least running down that it's not supposed to be there. So, now the question is did I mess up with editing the nif in NIfscope, did the import into Blender do something dumb or is it, as you say, something bad in the BSA unpacking. I'll start where you suggested and redo the BSA unpack.

ETA: OMG, I think it works now. Thank you so much, EVERYONE. It seems to indeed have been a bad Blender install. Having started from scratch, I seem to have it working now. Just a quick and dirty test export, but it worked and that was more than I could do before.

Thanks so much for the help. I really couldn't even guess what the issue was. Just knowing this wasn't a common glitch and that it was something that wasn't supposed to be there helped me so much. Thanks everyone!

Edited by TigerCubofPNW
Update