DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tutorial: Creating dialog in Morrowind (simple quest tutorial)

Jac

SIMPLE QUEST TUTORIAL

This tutorial will introduce how to write a simple quest. It will include creating journal entries, filtering, and adding info/responses to dialog topics.

1. Open up the Construction Set (CS) and then the dialog window (either by selecting Character->Dialog or by clicking on the text balloon at the top).
  2. Click on the journal tab and add the journal topic “<your initials>_mudcrab”. 
  3. Add a new info/response line of “Finding mudcrab meat” and set that to the quest name. (Note: journal topic names and dialog topics names CANNOT be the same. If they are, you will receive errors.) 
  4. Below the quest name, add a new line “Teleri has asked me to retrieve some mudcrab meat for her.” Set the index to 10. 
  5. Below that, add another line: “I returned some meat to Teleri and she gave some gold in exchange.” Set the index to 20 and click the finished box. This tells the game that this is the finished entry and it’s to be moved off of the player’s active quests list.
  6. Add the topic “mudcrab meat” by clicking on any dialog topic and selecting “new”. In the info/response box, add a new dialog line and type “Yes, I am short of mudcrab meat. I'll pay you if you find me some, %PCName.” Note: %PCName will show the player’s name in dialog.
  7. Set the filters to:
    1. ID: Teleri Helvi
    2. Function/Variable: Journal->”your journal entry id” < 10.
    3. Results box: journal <your journal id> 10
  8. Click on the entry and select new to create a blank entry above it. 
  9. Type: “I don't see any mudcrab meat on you, %PCName.” 
  10. Set the filters to:
    2. Function/Variable: Journal->”your journal entry id” = 10.
    3. Function/Variable: Item->ingred_crab_meat_01 < 1.
  11. Add a new line to the very top and type, “Oh, thank you, %PCName. Here's some gold for your troubles.” (Note, you can copy the previous line and change the filters). 
  12. Set the filters to:
    2. Function/Variable: Journal->”your journal entry id” = 10.
    3. Function/Variable: Item->ingred_crab_meat_01 >= 1. (This is so the quest will end if the player has more than one piece of mudcrab meat.) 
  13. In the Results box, add:
    1. journal "jac_mudcrab" 20 (sets the journal to the finished entry).
    2. player->additem "gold_001" 20 (gives the player 20 gold).
    3. player->removeitem "ingred_crab_meat_01" 1 (removes one piece of mudcrab meat).
  14. Click the ok button to save your dialog. Save your plugin and load it up to make sure it works properly. If it doesn't, ensure you've followed the above steps exactly.
Edited by Jac
  • Upvote 1

• DarkRider pinned this topic
  • 3 years later...