DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Sky] [Nif] A very... very slippery mesh in NifSkope...

IronBlockGames

So um... not sure if this is the place to ask about NifSkope stuff but um... I have an issue.

I'm trying to make a new ore type made from the glowing blue rocks found in Blackreach.  But sense all the rocks of it are static retextures of normal rocks, they lacked a bottom... so.. I joined two together in NifSkope, shrunk it down big time, and tried to give it the same weights and such as a normal ore chunk.

Welp.. my new rock ended up being lighter than air and floating about, or it stops at the ground when it falls but then just skids slowly across the floor slowly through walls. I... don't know what I did wrong.

Anyone here know a thing or two about NifSkope and making proper items that havoc? Think the only real thing I need is the weights so it properly havocs and not feel so floaty.

oreAetherium_havoc01.nif

I thought the collision shrunk when I shrunk the whole model down?

I can't use a normal ore chunk as the rocks on this use two layers for the mesh to apply a 2nd texture over top the first to give it that glowy effect. Normal ore don't and just makes a dull pale almost solid blue mess. (yes this was the first option I tried)

Darn it there is always something in my way. Now I have to hunt for a tutorial on this sense that link only says "Create your collision mesh in 3D software with possibility of exporting to nif file" yay.. another thing that tells you to do something but neglects to tell you how to do it. Yes I do have 3dsmax 2010 but I only know basic modeling, and I do most of that now in zbrush.

Edited by IronBlockGames

3) with Nifscope (advisable the 2.0.0 prealpha version). You can see the collision in real size. Can be found here: https://github.com/jonwd7/nifskope/releases

In Nifscope:

-Remove the 2-6 all bhk blocks.

-For every NitTriShape -RightClick -Transform- Apply  Save under other name like ''ore01'' or whatever you like

-RightClick on the first NitTriShape - Havok - Create Convex Shape

You get the collision that is static. Go to Spells - Reorder Blocks  Save like ''ore02''

Now you must find a similar vanilla object, I used clutter\ingredients\clam\clammeat

-Copy the bhkRigidBody of the clammeat into your new collision (use paste over)

-In bhkConvexVerticesShape select the right material

Darn it there is always something in my way.

.:D Moding can be sometimes painful.

Fixed mesh:

oreAetherium_havoc02.nif

• Upvote 1

Can't you use a glow map to create a glowing effect?

The rocks I'm using are the ones from blackreach, they have this extra mesh layer for a  texture effect that gives them a nice edge glow. Just look at BlackreachCrystalL01 that I used as a base for my new ore chunk.
kKOgoYa.png

I did try to mimic the effect on a normal ore bit but it didn't look anywhere close to how that does.

Yes it can be painful. I think I understood what you said but trying it myself didn't change much (yes I told it to apply changes) took a look at what you did vs what I did just makes me lost.

There needs to be proper nifskope tutorials that don't just open a bit of armor and tell you that's it. Yes I have seen enough 20+ minute tutorials that just had a dude blabbering then showing how to download and install and then open a armor bit and calls it a day... in a tutorial titles 'basic editing'. Apparently opening a file is seen as basic editing :P

Thanks for the help. One of these days I'll get the hang of this stuff!