DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Skyrim] [Skyrim Special Edition] How to open several instances of the CK

oldladyonthemoon

Skip to this post:

Note:

About the CK for the Special Edition, you can have several occurrences of the CK open at the same time by just setting the line below to 1 in the CreationKit.ini:

bAllowMultipleEditors=1

Things are simpler for this one since it's no longer hooked to Steam and you don't need to start the Bethesda.net launcher to open the editor.

Edited by ladyonthemoon
  • Upvote 1

You should see the picture by simply clicking on it ... :huh:

Another try:

Taskmanager.jpg

Edit: Found the solution on the internet: I had to double click on the window frame of the Taskmanager to get the full view.

Now I managed to get it working. Though this is very, very inconvenient. I keep Skyrim and the CK in offline mode and so I have to switch my connection off-on each time after I started another instance of the CK.

Edited by Tamira

Correction: it appears that Steam must be in off line mode for the work around to work. I hadn't noticed because I always launch Steam off line... My apologies!

So here is the definitive version (I hope) of the workaround:

- first, open the SkyrimEditor.ini you'll find in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim, and, if it's not already there, add the following line to the [General] section:

bAllowMultipleEditors=1

- then:

• 1) launch Steam in off line mode, or
  • 2) launch the ck in off line mode, (this will open Steam in off line mode)
  • 3) once the ck is fully launched (no need to load a plugin), open the Windows task manager (C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe), go to the "process" tab,
  • 4) locate "Steam.exe *32", select it, and click on the button "End Process" at the bottom right of the window, or right click on Steam.exe *32 and select "End Process" in the menu, or punch the e key. Steam will close but the ck will remain open.
  • 5) launch the ck again. On opening, Steam won't notice that there is already an instance of the ck running and here you go!

I personally begin at step 2); I don't launch games or tools by clicking "play" in Steam.

In the meantime....you can create a batch file.

right click your desktop...

click 'new', then click 'new text file'.  

Name it 2ck.bat

edit the file

copy and paste these lines:

Spoiler

@echo off
"C:\FILE\MANAGE\Download Managers\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\creationkit"
choice /c yn /d y /m "Wait 15 seconds  or press[y] if your computer is faster [n] to abort command" /t  15
if errorlevel 2 goto abort
if errorlevel 1 goto continue
:continue
taskkill /f /im steam.exe
"C:\FILE\MANAGE\Download Managers\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\creationkit"

:abort

Just change the part where it says "c:\file\manage\download managers"     to wherever your Steam installation is (where creationkit.exe is)

Edited by Ashenfire

Well, you could also use two, or more, computers... :D

Seriously, installing VM (Virtual Machine) will allow you to run the same program in a different environment and allows you to run steam twice.

It allows a single computer user to run multiple O.S. or programs without taking space or generating extra heat from more than one computer.

I can even run win 3.1.  I don't waste if I don't have too.  I paid for those programs.

Edited by Ashenfire

Its not for everyone.  If your computer can't handle it, then don't worry.

I have dual monitors and large ESV projects.

One of many benefits is that you can write dialogue in one kit, handle statics, and in the other you can test another portion of your mod

for meshes you created, or maybe you are testing another mod for dependency issues.  The big thing is not closing and waiting for every

time you are testing an idea.  The biggest advantage I have found, is that at the beginning of a project, you really don't know how to 

start out, so you just 'shotgun' ideas in each kit until it 'takes shape'.

Edited by Ashenfire

What's the benafit of having two CK's open at once? Are you able to copy and paste stuff from one to the other with out issues?

No, you can't copy stuff in one ck and paste it in the other.

It's very useful to have a second ck open with all the esm loaded when, like me, you need to find places where neither Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfires and Dragonborn have installed something, so that your plugin can add something there. :)