DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Skyrim] [Skyrim Special Edition] How to open several instances of the CK

oldladyonthemoon

On 10/11/2015 at 8:51 AM, ladyonthemoon said:

If you need to have an instance of the ck launched on line because you want to upload your mod to Steam for example, you can. Launch the extra cks off line first and then the on line one. The on line instance must be launched the last. :)

This no longer works. Steam must be launched each time off line if you want to open several ck at a time.

47 minutes ago, IronBlockGames said:

That don't even work for me tbh. Just tried, and reguardless of the tricks or methoods or closing of steam or running it offline, it never opens a 2nd ck, only pops up the first.

There's only one way to close Steam so that the trick works: killing the process in the task manager. What's your version of Windows? Mine is 7.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

This works for me:

1.  Create a file called 2ck.bat

2.  paste the following into the batch file:

Spoiler

@echo off
"C:\FILE\MANAGE\Download Managers\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\creationkit"
choice /c yn /d y /m "Wait 15 seconds  or press[y] if your computer is faster [n] to abort command" /t  15
if errorlevel 2 goto abort
if errorlevel 1 goto continue
:continue
taskkill /f /im steam.exe

:abort

3.  Change the two lines that refer to creationkit, to the directory where you installed your version.

4.  Verify NO steam versions are loaded.

5.  Run 2ck.bat

I use Windows 7

Edited by Ashenfire
.improper copy adjusted correctly for syntax
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ashenfire said:

This works for me:

1.  Create a file called 2ck.bat

2.  paste the following into the batch file:

I just made the bat file for myself:

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim"
choice /c yn /d y /m "Please Wait 5 seconds DO NOT press Y or N" /t  5
if errorlevel 0 goto continue
if errorlevel 1 goto continue
"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim"

I does kill Steam. :)

Would you have the bat file that would kill my internet connection before launching Steam? :P

14 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

There's only one way to close Steam so that the trick works: killing the process in the task manager. What's your version of Windows? Mine is 7.

Windows 8 and I have tried killing it in the task manager but on trying to open a new ck it just goes back to the existing one. even did it in offline mode and it still just goes back to the first ck. and yes I have the option in the ini file to allow more than one open.

Edited by IronBlockGames

22 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Would you have the bat file that would kill my internet connection before launching Steam? :P

Funny thing, I switched from Vista to Win7 last month and it wiorked in Vista. Now I am having the same problem as "IronBlock".  Ballowmultipleditors is set to 1 and only appears once so I am working on his issue as well as the network issue you mentioned. 

Killing internet is easy using lan icons in windows, I never had experience doing it from D.O.S.  Not sure if I can.  I expect it involves netsh and netstat.

On 1/15/2016 at 9:48 AM, ladyonthemoon said:

I just made the bat file for myself:

Re do your bat file.

I edited it in my earlier post to more properly reflect logic flow.  It is more correct.

Disregard, please use the FINAL tutorlal below, unless this is already working and you won't want to change anything.

Edited by Ashenfire
UPDATE: NEW batch file in a post after this; with tutorial.

:puppy:  I had run a repair on Creation Kit because it said it had unidentifiable items.  I kept trying to fix my 2ck.bat only to find out the repair removed my ballowmulipleeditors and set it to 0!  ....chasing my tail.

Verify your Creation kit does not need repair

Multiple Creation Kits Revisited:

UPdated July 2017:

Find your location of Skyrimeditor.ini

(your steam install directory)\steamapps\common\skyrim\skyrimeditor.ini

1.  Verify this exists in the skyrimeditor.ini file:

[general]
              bAllowMultipleEditors=1

2. Have Steam loaded in offline.

3.  EXIT Steam.

4. Load your first creation kit using 2ck.bat which will load offline.

5.  Select 'offline mode' when prompted.

6. Run the batch file for a second time and select 'offline mode' when prompted.

Your batch file will not be pretty like mine because I removed the pretty menus for clarity.

Choose OFFLINE mode for this one too!

Here are the batch file instructions:

Spoiler

Create a text file 2ck.bat (make sure friendly mode is off, it will hide extensions and yours might be 2ck.bat.doc)

You know when it is correct because the icon gear will be the icon for your .bat file.

I could also attach the entire file but people feel 'safer' if they do it themselves and can see the code right away.

It works in Windows 7.X versions, 8.x Versions, Vista.

If users don't have choice.com they will have to remove it and replace the command with choose.com

COPY/Paste the items below                      BETWEEN         [START]   and     [END]

[START]

@echo off
cls

Echo This assumes that you already have Steam loaded offline and 1 creation kit is loaded from Steam when it was offline.
Echo Verify that ballowmultipleEditors is equal to 1 in your SkyrimEditor.ini in the common\Skyrim folder.

echo.

choice /c ny /d y /m "Wait 15 seconds in case your computer is slower or press [Y] to continue, [N] to Abortcommand" /t 15

if errorlevel 2 goto continue
if errorlevel 1 goto abort
goto abort

echo.
echo.

Echo Reloading...

Echo [New task added:  creation kit and Steam.exe]

Echo [New task added: second creation kit]
  echo.
  echo.

goto quit

:abort
echo user aborted menu
goto quit

:quit

pause

[END]

Thanks to:

Lady On The Moon & people online who I can not find their sites to add them as 'helpful' about

reminding us about this useful feature.

Edited by Ashenfire
  • Upvote 1

:wine:Jump in the madness!   I just loaded three creation kits  just for kicks. 

There was a time when I would have used this advantage but I dont have power cords for extra monitors.

Only problem is that they load in the last position of the last CK that was closed; on top of each other.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 08/11/2015 at 10:29 AM, ladyonthemoon said:

Ever since the last update, opening several instances of the ck has become impossible. I found a work around though that I'm happy to share with you.

First, open the SkyrimEditor.ini you'll find in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim, and, if it's not already there, add the following line in the [General] section:

bAllowMultipleEditors=1

Then:

1) launch the ck,

2) once the ck is fully launched (no need to load a plugin), open the Windows task manager (C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe) and go to the "process" tab,

3) locate "Steam.exe *32", select it, and click on the button "End Process" at the bottom right of the window (or right click on Steam.exe *32 and select "End Process" in the menu, or punch the e key). Steam will close but the ck will remain open.

4) launch the ck again. On opening, Steam won't notice that there is already an instance of the ck running and here you go!

Update on this: my trick no longer works...

For the record, I can still do it, using the latest Steam updates.

It also took me 5 tries.  Since the original conditions to make my batch operational,  were no longer correct.

However, I can

1.  Go offline with Steam.
  2.  Exit Steam.
  3. Run my batch file.
  4. Steam and offline CK will load. (choosing to run kit in offline mode).
  5. Run my batch file again.
  6. choose to load the second creation kit in offline mode.
  7. Voila...2 instances of the kit.
Edited by Ashenfire

8 hours ago, Ashenfire said:

For the record, I can still do it, using the latest Steam updates.

It also took me 5 tries.  Since the original conditions to make my batch operational,  were no longer correct.

However, I can

1.  Go offline with Steam.

My bad! I had completely forgotten to put Steam off line! Thanks for the  reminder! :D

14 hours ago, Ashenfire said:

I'm guessing you got it working again?

I just did it. So here is how it works for me:

1. launch the CK in on line mode,
  2. launch the Windows task manager, locate the Steam.exe *32 process, right click on it and kill it,
  3. unplug your computer from the internet,
  4. launch Steam and choose the off line mode,
  5. launch the CK again; this time it will start,
  6. re plug your computer to the internet, if you need it.

Capture.JPG.2b2a28b419d073dc0cfe694dd7b2b603.JPG

Launching two instances of the CK 64 bits requires that the line

bAllowMultipleEditors=

be set to 1 in the CreationKit.ini file that you'll find in "Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition".

Capture2.JPG.a68ea529e8b44a45581d248e23f0f0e7.JPG

Edited by ladyonthemoon

• 6 years later...

This still works today.

Put Steam into Offline mode.
Kill the Steam.exe in Task Manager.
Make sure you've edited your creationkit.ini and have bAllowMultipleEditors=1
Launch Creation Kit multiple times.
Profit (gain time by multitasking!)

I was trying to generate lip sync files for multiple mods at once. It works. I have 3 going currently and it's using about 10% of my CPU. It's going to take all day and all night. The only way to speed this up would be to use a batch script to run multiple FaceFXWrapper.exe's at once. Hmm...