Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tigersong

32, 64 and x86

It is a puzzle most perplexing- why 32-bit programs are also referred to as "x86". Could some kind stranger explain this phenomenon?

It's because when Intel started making processors, they used the x86 naming scheme: 8086, 286, 386, etc. They switched over to actual names, starting with the Pentium, because they couldn't copywrite a number and AMD was also naming their chips using the x86 naming scheme. AMD stopped using that naming scheme after the 586. Since the old x86 were mostly 32-bit CPUs, the naming scheme caught on as a shorthand way of saying it's a 32-bit program; x64 is a 64-bit program or CPU depending on what you're talking about.

so, I`m guessing the reason we don`t install to x86 is because 64 bit programs cause problems?

You can't install to and x86 because the process is a 32 bit processor. You need to have a x64 processor in order to even install the software.

so, I`m guessing the reason we don`t install to x86 is because 64 bit programs cause problems?

Are you talking about the Program Files (x86) folder? If so, the reason you shouldn't install games in there is because Windows puts severe restrictions on that folder and can prevent most games from working properly. Applications like web browsers should be fine though.

Thanks Jac, I knew it was something like that I just didn`t know why.

Anytime. As far as I know, even disabling UAC won't always fix the issue, so it's recommended to not install programs like games in there. It's one of those things where one person won't have an issue but another one will.