DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Tame Wolfies, is there such a thing?

TigerCubofPNW

So, I have been playing around with wolfies. I was working on making them into pets/companions. And I am confused by their behavior and what the eff Skyrim is up to.

I have set them to non-aggressive and removed the ones I'm using from the Predator faction. I even added a faction that is allies with the surrounding people. However, the wolf still randomly turns hostile (and I say random, because it doesn't happen all the time) and has to be put down.

From what I gather from other mods that have tried taming wolves, this seems like a problem others have run into. Like, even though the AI and the factions all say there is NO reason for the wolf to get aggressive, Skyrim looks at a loaded area, sees a wolf and says, "It must attack the nearest person!"

Anyone have any thoughts?

Theres a number of mods that let you tame wolves.
Tame the Beasts of Skyrim II lets you tame any animal
Wolf Master lets you tame a modded wolf pack.
And I think Amazing Follower Tweaks lets you make any npc/animal a follower.

Also recommend with any or all of them to use True Wolves Of Skyrim, as it just makes wolves look like wolves.

Edited by IronBlockGames

Theres a number of mods that let you tame wolves.
Tame the Beasts of Skyrim II lets you tame any animal
Wolf Master lets you tame a modded wolf pack.
And I think Amazing Follower Tweaks lets you make any npc/animal a follower.

Also recommend with any or all of them to use True Wolves Of Skyrim, as it just makes wolves look like wolves.

LadyontheMoon: It's war and compromises have to be made!!

IronBlockGames: Yeah, I know it can be done. I'd rather build it myself into my mod than take someone else's work. Also, the problem doesn't seem to be make them not attack the player. That seems to be the easy part. The hard part seems to be in making them not attack NPCs that are their allies. Like I said, it appears to be random. Half the time, the wolves just walk around, chilling. The other half they go into fight mode.

I would agree with you to some extent IronBlockGames, dependent upon if beast followers were one of those mods where they offer permissions to do with as you please so long as credit is given where credit is due, or would that matter in this case since you would be merely checking stats of the animals and not changing anything in the mod itself? Only reason I ask, is because I am a full on Noob modder still grasping the basics of the CS. Long time gamer!!!!!! with full intentions of being a modding demon! Someday...:devil:

There are limits on what a modder can ask permission for and changes only made in the CS aren't one of them. So Tiger could see how those mods made their changes and not have to worry about contacting the original authors. They could mention them in the credits, but even that's more of a courtesy than a requirement. Now if they were going to use custom models and/or textures, that would be a different story and permission would need to be gained first.

Ok, so as you say since things that are done in the CS are really at the basic level, then addressing those with acknowledgments towards the authors is courteous yet not necessarily demanded. However, were we to change something using once of the other more complex programs that I have been reading up on that I found through here, then that requires permissions from the author, or whomever may have helped them, a chain of persons let's say.

Ok, so as you say since things that are done in the CS are really at the basic level, then addressing those with acknowledgments towards the authors is courteous yet not necessarily demanded. However, were we to change something using once of the other more complex programs that I have been reading up on that I found through here, then that requires permissions from the author, or whomever may have helped them, a chain of persons let's say.

Yeah, you can't use a whole Mod without permission/acknowledgement. Like if I used one of the Mods IronBlock suggested, I would need to be sure I had permission, add it as a "required" mod to my Mod's info page and credit the mod maker.

Everything else is a little more murky. We learn by, as IronBlock suggested, taking other mods apart and seeing how they work. Using entire scripts other people wrote without crediting them is probably not good, but seeing how their script works and using that to make your own is fine. I know more than half my education comes from figuring out the mechanics of other mods.

Welcome to the weird world of modding my friend. I was a noob not that long ago. You're in for a ride! :)

Indeed. I've been trying to learn how to make a standalone follower with quest tied to them, and I'm using an existing mod that also does something along those lines and looking through how they did everything to make it work. Now I'm not planing the exact same thing, but it's more like 'Oh that's how they trigger that part. Now I know how to do my own trigger to do my own thing."

Using an existing mod to learn from is fine, I never intended for you to take someones mod and do with as you please.

Yeah, I know it can be done. I'd rather build it myself into my mod than take someone else's work.

Well TigerCubofPNW, would just peeking at how someone else did it, to you be considered taking their work in your opinion? Or, as per the ongoing discussion, would it be merely seeing how it was done so long as nothing in the script was changed and you set yours the same?

Well TigerCubofPNW, would just peeking at how someone else did it, to you be considered taking their work in your opinion? Or, as per the ongoing discussion, would it be merely seeing how it was done so long as nothing in the script was changed and you set yours the same?

Ah, apparently, I didn't make myself clear. IronBlock, no, what you suggested was totally cool and I know you didn't suggest I just swipe someone else's work. I thought you were saying I should just build on one of those other mods and I didn't want to do that. But you are totally correct in that looking at mods for clues is a modder's best resource.

Drengr, no, I didn't mean to give that impression, As I said in another comment, for all modder's, beginning and beyond, it's very helpful to take a look at the code from other mods to understand how and even why someone did something. That's why it's also a good habit to get into to make notes in your script so people know what the code is for and why it was added.

And for the class... The answer!

I assumed since I checked all the factions to be sure there were no enemy factions creating conflicts I was fine. I was wrong. As I said, Skyrim seems to have something else it does when it senses a wolf in the wolf faction around. So by removing ALL the factions from the wolf actor, I tamed them. Yay.

• Upvote 1