DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Adding NPCs to the World

TigerCubofPNW

Ah, you clicked this thinking this was a simple question didn't you? :) No, this is about more than dragging and dropping.

And I mean literally "the world" as in Tamriel, not an interior location.

Here is the problem: I have added several NPCs to outside locations. Randomly, some of them do not appear. Usually, a reload fixes that but obviously that's not the best solution.

I remember seeing something in one of my endless searches for answers on something else that there was something particular about NPCs being placed in the outside world, like something they needed to be linked to or something. But naturally I can't find anything on that at the moment. Would that be what the deal is? That they need something else to work right? Most of the time, they're fine, but sometimes....

Anyone have any thoughts?

How do you spawn them? Do you use a quest that spawn them in their location or did you just drop them there in the ck? Are they using packages, doing stuff, any stuff, working in fields, walking from one place to another, anything that keep them busy and/or link them to that location?

Simple drag and drop. No AI packages. But it is their "editor" location and my experience has made it clear they won't budge from there unless you force them to. As I said, this is an intermittent problem and usually when I exit and re-enter the game, the NPC is where its supposed to be. And as an example, when they get scared by combat, they only run a few yards away and then wander back. So I'm sure they're not somewhere else.

More specifically, I have one NPC placed in Silent Moons Camp that doesn't seem to be coming back. Silent Moons camp has been a problem for me with other weird glitches, like the NPCs spawning as headless mannequins who can't animate (in spite of me running FNIS) so there could be something wrong with the cell in my Skyrim, I guess. I was just wondering if anyone knew a trick I should use.

Are you sure the problems doesn't come from other mods? What's that FNIS you mention?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?

It's one of those functionality mods that helps add animations to Skyrim. It needs to be run if you have other mods that add/modify animations or characters will stand around like statues.

Anyway, I can't figure how it could be a conflict. For one, running Tes5edit, which detects conflicts and problems, reveals nothing. For another, it's just an NPC standing in a spot. There's nothing really to conflict with. Silent Moons starts and remains a Bandit camp. And also there is the fact that I have lots of NPCs added to outside locations and most of the time it's fine. Just once in a while, one of them isn't there.

I'll go back to digging to see if I can find that thing about outside NPCs.