DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[OB] Mod Question-Idea

DrengrHundr

Just an idea here, since I am a greenhorn to the world of modding. I am unsure if it would work because I don't know if the dynamics of the game are to different, but if not, then it is something to strive to achieve! Would it be possible to create a mod for Oblivion similar in fashion to "Hearthfire" in Skyrim; so that a player could build their own house in a predetermined location in the wilderness. I think that would be way awesome as my son would have said.  :anyone:

It is possible, yes. All the way to Navmeshes and AI. Not too complicated, either, if done like Hearthfire. Some scripting would be needed, but other than that, it is a lot of 'brainless' building, AI and the like. Pure work, not too creative once the overall layout and such has been planned.

That is actually a relatively good idea for a mod. There are some ready wood pieces and such in the game, and there might be modders resources for everything else if needed for the WIP exterior. So definitely possible, it just takes some work. One house might already be enough, three is way over the top.

• Upvote 1

That is actually a relatively good idea for a mod. There are some ready wood pieces and such in the game, and there might be modders resources for everything else if needed for the WIP exterior. So definitely possible, it just takes some work. One house might already be enough, three is way over the top.

Perhaps make it a quest mod; as a reward for a service to a certain count or something. Who knows, maybe Mazoga the Orc would move in and be your wife.....:devil:

No sir, I have just begun to learn modding. I am still in the CS Basics stage. It is either something for me to aspire to, or if someone likes the idea and would like to run with it, I am fine with that, I have great ideas, just don't have the know how at the moment. As far as Mazoga goes; that girl it think would have been to freaky for me even on my best of younger years. LOL :2guns:

Haha. Also, no need to 'sir' me, I think you might in fact be a lot older than me. I have just started the university. Little kiddie here playing around with the CS. :cavalier:

If you need help with something, just ask. I have played around with Oblivion a lot more than Skyrim. Especially scripting for Oblivion is something I am good at. But then again, everything is easier in Oblivion than it is in Skyrim. Do not forget to install the Construction Set Extender by shademe, the normal CS is just intolerable without it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/36370/?

Haha. Also, no need to 'sir' me, I think you might in fact be a lot older than me. I have just started the university. Little kiddie here playing around with the CS. :cavalier:

If you need help with something, just ask. I have played around with Oblivion a lot more than Skyrim. Especially scripting for Oblivion is something I am good at. But then again, everything is easier in Oblivion than it is in Skyrim. Do not forget to install the Construction Set Extender by shademe, the normal CS is just intolerable without it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/36370/?

I loved scripting in Oblivion, I loved the way it worked, and how easy it was to learn..... Then comes skyrim, with an external script engine, and papyrus.... I REALLY don't want to learn yet another scripting language, I am getting to old for that. :D

CS Extender is indeed an awesome addition.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, I have it saved in my favorites for download later. As I stated before, I am still basically learning the terminology and all of that at the moment. I don't want to install CS on this machine as it is my fiancee's and she gripes at me enough about putting to much stuff on hers. When I get my laptop back from the pawn shop (I know, I know, horrible horrible DrengrHUngr) then I will do the install on that one.

While an interesting idea, Oblivion doesn't have the mechanics of crafting or the animations. It would truly be a script heavy mod and perhaps not as immersive (gasp! I said that word!) as you think. ;)  Could still be fun though.

Let me know (in PM) when you plan to take the CS Basics class and when you're ready. I don't always check the thread.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes. There are no animations for crafting at all. I was just thinking about the statics, navmeshes, bying the land and menus. So the basic concept is possible, tweaking it with animations and such might not necessarily be. Or well, they are, but it would mean acquiring the animations and such. So

• all the scripting is doable, and is needed, but despite the need for a lot of scripting, the mod will not be 'script heavy' at all if made correctly, quite on the contrary, the scripts can be made so that they will have no effect on overall performance
  • crafting needs to be done via scripts, by making some simple messagebox menus, for example, or maybe MenuQue could provide the options to create a new proper menu somehow (I have never used MenuQue myself)
  • animations would need to be acquired somehow, but it is possible to play animations and such in Oblivion, too, it just needs to be done via scripts (again)

Scripting is something I like myself, too. Scripting in Oblivion is quite simple, and then there is OBSE to keep it enjoyable even when the vanilla system proves insufficient for anything more interesting - which usually happens pretty fast.

Edited by PhilippePetain
fixed some typos
  • Upvote 1