DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] The SEQ file, to pack or not to pack?

TigerCubofPNW

So, I basically assumed that the SEQ file, the thing you need to make so that your dialogue runs, didn't need to be packed with the mod. I assumed this because I have never gotten one in any of the mods I have downloaded (and trust me, I've downloaded a lot of mods.)

But I wanted to ask if it should be included and if so, should it be in the same Data/SEQ folder it is created in when generated? Like I said, never gotten one with a mod, but then I haven't dissected every BSA file either.

okeydoke. :)

You won't need the seq file if the quest that contains the dialogue is not "enabled at start". I personally think that making the quest containing the dialogues to start through another quest stage or a set stage trigger is a lot more practical; it spares you the trouble of generating the seq file, which can be tricky. :)

You won't need the seq file if the quest that contains the dialogue is not "enabled at start". I personally think that making the quest containing the dialogues to start through another quest stage or a set stage trigger is a lot more practical; it spares you the trouble of generating the seq file, which can be tricky. :)

Tricky? It's the easiest thing in the world... Which now makes me think I'm doing it wrong....

That is really helpful though. I will keep that in mind going forward.

Same here.  Just use the Story Manager "change location".  Hasn't failed yet. Never worry about seq.

There are ways that are a lot more efficient than change location events. These events are far too vague. You can use:

• a quest that has no dialogue in it,  is enabled at start and start the quest that has dialogue on load, by using a setsage,
  • setstage triggers, my favourite,
  • have the quest that contains dialogue start when the player comes near a reference. That's how Meeko's quest start. The dog's reference has a quest attached to it that starts the quest when the player comes close to the dog. It's a loop script:
Scriptname dunPOITundraMarshDogSCRIPT extends ObjectReference  

Quest Property myQuest  Auto  

int Property myStage  Auto  

int distanceCheck = 2500
bool breakLoop

EVENT onLoad()      
	UpdateLoop()																; This script will update every (2) seconds
endEVENT

EVENT onUnload()
	breakLoop = True
endEVENT

Function UpdateLoop()		
	While (myQuest.GetStage() < myStage && !breakLoop)
		if (getDistance(game.getplayer()) <= distanceCheck)
			myQuest.setStage(myStage)	
		EndIf
		Utility.Wait(2)
	EndWhile
	breakLoop = False
EndFunction

I'm pretty sure there are lots of other ways to start a quest, that doesn't require to use events of any kind or seq files. ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Your script has the same effect as an event, it waits for the player to get within range and trigger.  In fact it is using events to make it happen.   Story manager is still efficient because it only fires once when triggered.

That would be the point of using it since it won't be started at the beginning of load time and won't be doing needless condition checks.

I also use dialogue, receiving quest items, the point is that they use Story Manager and will not 'fire up' until the quest is ready to be experienced by the player. 

Change location can handle any situation if a newbie does not want to experiment with the different types of story manager events.

If a newbie does not want to mess with .seq then a simple way is by change location.  It CAN be efficient if you make a quest item and place it in the location that starts the event.  It could be in a locked cabin,  etc, and the player would never know until he/she stumbles onto clues of where the item is.

Also, most of the  new modders don't think about 'efficient' they think 'get my idea out' and starting with Story Manager will be the least of their problems when not observing modding rules/etiquette/efficiency.

Edited by Ashenfire