DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Best mod manager to use?

VaasDeythra

I realize, good ladies and sirs, that this topic has been posted by plenty before me, but I would rather have a discussion concerning my own issues with the topic instead of piggybacking on someone else's and not necessarily having my mind made up.

So the question is, what's the best one to use?  As far as I'm concerned they all have annoying drawbacks.

Nexus Mod Manager looks nifty and would be seemingly great for me, as I primarily use the Nexus for mods...but as I think I've seen Lanceor say somewhere around here, NMM doesn't treat Oblivion well.  I don't know why, but it's true for me.  Some of them work, some of them don't work even when they should.  (I am aware that the way some mods are packed prevents them from being installed properly by NMM...so shame on the uploaders for allowing NMM downloads!)

Oblivion Mod Manager seems to be pretty useful, but I never could get myself to use it unless a mod I wanted only came in OMOD format, or something like DarNified UI that requires OBMM to install.  It's just a hassle.  I guess if I really wanted to use mods and make them work I'd get over it and force myself to be patient and use it.  But still, the other two mod managers make things easier.

Wrye Bash is my favorite, BAIN format my drug, but I have grown discontented with it as of late.  With any significant amount of mods in my Bash Installers folder (by this I mean 15-20+ mods, some of which are rather large like Better Cities), it takes forever for the program to boot up and load the Installers page/section/thing.  This in and of itself makes me shy away from using WB any longer.

I've considered dividing up mods and using all three; BAIN mods in Wrye Bash, NMM mods (Oblivion Character Overhaul, for instance) in NMM, and anything else in OBMM.  This would indeed be a hassle...but worth it.  Thoughts?  (Also, is there some way to speed up Wrye Bash?)

I think your last plan is probably as good as it's going to get. There is no "one manager to rule them all". They all have their good points, and bad points..... Unfortunately, not all mods are packed in a format that is friendly for any/all of them...... A fair few simply will not work in any other manager than the one they specify in the readme. Which is really unfortunate. :) Some standardization would have been nice, but, it is FAR too late for that now.....

As for long load times for Wrye Bash, I think I read a workaround for that at one time, though I will grant you, it HAS been a year or more ago. I don't recall exactly what it was either.... (I generally just do manual installs, except for the truly complicated mods..... UI mods being right up there on the list. :) ) Maybe posting on the Wrye Bash thread on the official forums would get you an answer..... I think also, that the standalone version of Wrye runs faster than the python-based flavor......

What's the best one to use? Hmm, an entirely subjective question.

IMHO, it depends on the user and their familiarity with modding the game. For those new to modding NMM would be best, simply for managing the installation of mods directly from Nexus. For the more familiar, Wrye Bash/BAIN can do everything we need. For the hardcore like HeyYou and myself, manual installs. So whatever your comfort level is. I don't know anyone who uses OBMM any more, its always been the inferior one.

Keep in mind, whatever method you decide, you'll always need Bash anyway to create your bashed patch, so it's open and being used. That to me is why I will always use it. I think the last time I played Oblivion, I had over 60 mods in my installer folder and don't recall any significant time it took to open. I'm also fairly sure they've been optimizing the code lately.