vometia

Modelling and mesh wrangling

32 posts in this topic

Nope. Beth still doesn't allow porting assets from game to game. Although, THEY are doing it themselves....... Their games, their rules, I suppose.

Oh poo.  Well thanks for letting me know anyway!  I guess there's nothing new to add that hasn't already been said in exasperation by many others!

It's a pity I can't release them but I accept that's the way it is.  Hasn't stopped me working on them which has kept me entertained for a while, at least until in an insomnia-addled careless-pressing-of-buttons I managed to accidentally delete my meshes/clothes directory, which kinda sucked.  Would've sucked more if I didn't back it up regularly, though of course I had to learn the hard way to do that.

Anyway, I've finished her original and noir outfits.  Obviously for values of "finished", and I feel a bit meh that my skills aren't really at a professional level, but I'm not an artist, I'm a programmer, so I guess I'm reasonably satisfied as long as I don't look too closely at actually competent people's work. :lol:

fo4-elizabeths1m.jpg

There's also some dalish elves loitering in the background: I'm definitely not allowed to release them either!

I don't know, I think both outfits look pretty good.... But then, I am male, and have a weakness for pretty gals, in nice skirts...... :D

And there was me thinking "I wonder how the noir outfit would look with trousers...?" :lol:

I think even this little exercise has seen my modding come on a way: although I've been using it for a while, normalmapping has really shown its worth with these outfits, particularly with details like pleats and creases.  I'm probably still a bit too timid with it but I'm liking the results on what would otherwise be less interesting outfits.  Here's an example; close-up it maybe looks a bit unsubtle around her blouse's stitching (and maybe it is) but when standing any distance away, any less than that is almost invisible.  I probably really need to be much more flamboyant with the details!

fo4-elizabethnoir5m.jpg

I actually tried to play some FO4 today, for the first time in a couple of months, but the last patch broke so much stuff. :(  Follower hiring/firing scripts are broken, texture loading has regressed to the Bad Old Days, and worst of all the cell loading is awful: though never good since at least Oblivion it's suddenly got an order of magnitude worse.  I hope they fix it soon; or rather since "they" won't, I hope somebody else does...

Yeah, it would be nice if beth would stop screwing up their games, all in order to pursue CC dollars......

Played with a NICE gaming rig at work Friday...... the customer had FO4 installed, but, the ONLY mods he had were CC content? I was floored. Meant to discuss that with him when he came in, but, he didn't come in. :) If the machine is still there Monday, I may have to corner him when he shows up. :D

Fortunately I found a way of reverting to an earlier version of the game: by which I mean no funny business, it's a proper Steam download.  Contrary to what I'd assumed it does actually keep all previous versions and will let you download them, you just need to know how to ask and they don't make it especially obvious.  Anyway, rolled back to 1.10.20 which I recall largely behaved itself and the inordinately long and frequent cell loads have gone.  Okay, it's still its usual self where it does hiccup when loading new cells and it will pause noticeably in very detailed areas like the city centre but it's actually playable again.  Jury's still out about the companion recruiting thing and I'm not really in a rush to play the past few hours a third time over the course of little more than a day, but I suspect it might be the sensible thing to do just to be sure as I could in theory continue this play through for another 100 hours or more, so I don't really want that hanging over me.

A bit sad that the guy with the nice PC only had CC stuff, but I guess we all needed to learn somewhere!  Hopefully you'll get a chance to point him in the right direction.

Edited by vometia
typo