DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A question about adding custom content in the CK

somnomania

So after I went on my latest downloading spree for resources to shove in my Skyrim houses, I had an idea that should, in theory, save me a lot of time, but I'm not sure how it would work when I finally get a house ready to share with others. I want to make an addon file (an .esp) that I then add ALL of the downloaded custom content to, to store it, basically. Then, when I'm working on a build, I could load that alongside the build's file and have access to all of the resources without having to go through the process of manually adding all the things I might use yet again. But would that mean that later when I finally packed the build up for others to use, the build's file would have a dependency on the storage file? Or would I have effectively copied the items used into the build's file so that the whole thing could stand on its own? I've never archived a build before, so I'm not super clear on how it works; I just want to make sure I'm not making extra work for myself before I start adding these hundreds of items in. :confused:

If you do it that way, you'd create a dependency on the resource file (which would be an .esm not an .esp) that others would have to download along with your mod.

Best to only "use what you need", placing resources into your own custom folders before creating in the CK per mod. Much easier to pack up and keep track of.

I know it's easy to look at resource packs and think you want to use it all, but keep in mind, the more random clutter you add the more you weigh down your mod. Practice some restraint. Perhaps only add certain things into each house mod you create to make them unique rather than all the things everywhere. ;)

Okay, that's what I figured might be the case. I guess what I should really do is go through my resource folders and delete the pieces I never use, to help make it less overwhelming. It's just that adding items gets so tedious, because there ARE a number of things that I end up using in almost all of my builds. If only custom content worked more like it does for the Sims, where you just shove it in specific folder and it shows up in game.

Yes, if you use custom content in a mod, it shows up only in that mod. If you set that mod as a plugin, the objects are still only in that mod. Sure you can se and use them, but if you remove the plugin mod, all your items poof, as there not in the main mod.

Nice tutorial on adding in custom items and offers one way to mannage it. If you view the video contents you also see my reply on how I manage it myself.