DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Fixing Other People's Mods

TigerCubofPNW

So, say you have a mod you really want to use but it crashes your game. You check TesEdit. You check ModOrganizer. They all say everything is cool, but the Mod keeps crashing your game anyway. And let's say the mod maker has gone off to wherever mod makers go after they get bored with Skyrim. Now say you have some grasp of Creation Kit and a little bit of willpower. How does one approach fixing what is broken?

I have this mod that gives me CTD every time I fast-travel. It's not a corrupt save file. It's not the auto-save. None of that. I turn the mod on, fast travel, CTD, turn mod off, fast travel, no problems.

What in a mod might cause it do that? This is a custom location mod, but I am nowhere near the custom location when I CTD. Can someone offer me a few tips so I know where to look?

This is part of a broader, more tedious project where I need to create some patches because my mod-addiction has broken Skyrim - a lot. So I need to start learning how to create fixes and patches.

Given the fact that you don't tell what mod it is, I'd say:

1. extract the content of the bsa into your data files,
  2. study the scripts, recompile them,
  3. study the esp,
  4. was the mod made with an earlier version of Skyrim?
  5. are you sure you're not missing a dependency?
  6. are you sure this mod is not incompatible with another mod you're using?
  7. etc.

1 hour ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Given the fact that you don't tell what mod it is, I'd say:

1. extract the content of the bsa into your data files,
  2. study the scripts, recompile them,
  3. study the esp,
  4. was the mod made with an earlier version of Skyrim?
  5. are you sure you're not missing a dependency?
  6. are you sure this mod is not incompatible with another mod you're using?
  7. etc.

Eh, what Mod it is is irrelevant. I mean, it could be a mod I made (it's not though!) that is creating CTD and I'd still need help figuring out why. :)

Anyway, very good thoughts, but no. Recompiled scripts, re-saved esp, no good. And it's not a missing dependency because if it was, Tes5Edit would throw a fit, ModOrganizer would throw things at me and Creation Kit would just giggle at me if I tried to load it. Since none of those things happened, then no, it's not missing a dependency. As for being incompatible... Again, I should get an error in one of those other programs.

I did a Mod Cleaning through Tes5Edit, no effect. So.... Well, I was just hoping someone here might have run into this before and said, "Oh yeah, do this."

I really dislike the title of this thread, might give people the wrong impression. The community does not condone "fixing" of mods one does not own to be redistributed. I say 'to be redistributed' because that's the caveat. If it's a personal project, fine. Just wanted that clarification out of the way. :)

Since we have no way of knowing if other people experience the same crash on fast travel with this mod, we have to assume it's a problem only you experience.

Load ALL your mods together in TES5Edit. Expand this particular mod, and go through it line by line to find any conflicts. My guess is it's conflicting with one or more of your mods.

You should also turn on papyrus logging, play your game normally for awhile (with this mod loaded as well), about 5 mins is fine, then try to fast travel. Post the results of the papyrus log. Something in there may help narrow down the issue if it's scripting related.