DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Sky] How to add items to loot lists

IronBlockGames

So as the title says. I'd like to know how to add items to the games existing loot lists.

I've seen tutorials that just have you go right in and add stuff to the default loot lists, but if it's like with merchant chests that would conflict. So I'd like to know how to add items properly to loot lists, rather it be dungeon chests to npc's walking around wearing the item or carrying it on their person.

I ask as I'm trying to learn how to make my own weapons for the game (I know 3d modeling, but getting them in games been my weak spot) and would like to have them show up around the world and be used by npc's.

I also want to take some mods I've found made by others and edit them (personal use) so their armors and weapons are in the loot lists.... vs just being handed to you at the start of the game.

So how can I do this proper to avoid conflicts and work with other mods that also edit loot lists.

Edit: an added question: Can you rename cells that are not just wilderness? like the POIPineForest locations?

Edited by IronBlockGames

7 hours ago, IronBlockGames said:

... But how do you merge them with existing ones so the stuff in yours can be found in the world, on existing npc's or chests? That is what I'm trying to sort out.

You can't do that unless you modify the existing lists directly, which will certainly make them incompatible with Hearthfires and a hosts of mods out there. What you can do is use the radiant quest system to spread your items in the world. For example, make a radiant quest based on the quest that spawns skooma vendors in the world:

• make your own vendors and add your items to their inventory (make sure that's how the skooma vendors are made),
  • make the spawn quest by imitating the one that spawns the skooma vendors in the world (I think it's id is WE...).

There are other radiant quests that spawn dead bodies in the world too.

This way, you will spread your items in the world without modifying existing lists or cells. ;)

... so... is that how mods like immersive armors and weapons does it? That don't make much sense. I'm using a few mods that seem to add items to the default loot lists so existing npc's end up using them, but don't conflict with other mods that do the same. there not adding npc's nor directly editing the existing ones. even the ones in my Owl Rock mod spawn them, along with weapons from the normal loot lists.

So how did they do that? looking at the mods I can't make heads or tails or see what they did to make it happen. That's what I want though, not to spawn new npc's with the items, or need to place new chests around the world. I want to interact with what is already there like many other mods have been.

isn't that how you merge mods together? That wont really help me with my own mods that I'm hoping to distribute once I can sort out some things. There's away to do it with out merging files, but I can't find any answers as to how. All the tutorials I find just show to edit the default lists but I know that will cause conflicts.

Edited by IronBlockGames

I still don't get it. If I made a mod that added new swords to the game and want them in loot lists so npc's can be found using them or finding them in shops... how does using a marge patch differ from just placing the items in the normal loot lists? wont it cause the same issue of conflict? Unless you went in and merged every mod's lists into one... but I don;t care to be telling people they need to merge it to make it work.

You cannot add your items to the world without modifying it, whether by adding them to lists, merchants chests, and so on. On the other hand, you may have to make a choice; the purpose of modding a game being modifying it. So, take a leap of faith and add them either by modifying existing lists or by creating new lists and adding them to merchants chests. If a chest is modified by several mods, the last loaded will be the winner. :P

After all, mods users have to be careful regarding the mods they want to use; you cannot blame yourself for what happens to their game if they make wrong choices. :)

12 hours ago, IronBlockGames said:

I still think there is away. I keep hearing you can do it via scrips that don't cause conflicts but yet to find any such scrips.

You cannot add anything to lists via scripts. You can add things to npcs inventories via quests:

1. create a quest,
  2. in that quest create a reference alias pointing at the npc,
  3. in this alias add the items to the npc in the "inventory" box.

You could maybe add things to containers too via the same kind of quest by creating reference aliases pointing to existing chests.

Edited by ladyonthemoon