DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Help me mod my characters hood XD

TheFantasticFox

Hello my name is Fox, Foxy, or whatever you want to call me XD. Anyway i just wanted help in doing a little mod ive been looking for a mod that could do this for me but obviously not everyone uses the hood i use so i was wondering how i could take the hood that i use on my character and have her hair show whilst it is on but not clip through the hood, i really dont have experience modding the closest i have come to it is configuring mods using tes5edit, loot and sorting plugins other than that i have no clue what program i need to do what i want to do any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by grond
title edited for clarity

You will need to learn how to use Blender and Nifskope if you want to do this. 

The best place to start, is to learn how to set up Blender and get a basic grounding in how to use it. Then follow this tutorial to learn how armor works. Because hair in Skyrim works pretty much like armor, you can then apply what you learn in that tutorial to working on hair.

There's nothing inherently difficult about this, but you do need to follow some tutorials to pick up basic skills before the rest of what I say will make any sense.

In that tutorial, you'll learn about skin partitions (or dismemberment partitions) and how to assign them to faces on a mesh. The relevant skin partitions for hair are SBP_131_HAIR and SBP_141_LONGHAIR. SBP_131_HAIR is used on faces that disappear when you equip a hat or helmet, and SBP_141_LONGHAIR is used on faces that stay when you equip a helmet.

So, to get your hair the work properly, you need to first import the model into Blender and follow the other steps outlined in the armor tutorial. When you come to the partition assigning stage, using Fallout 3 partition names as placeholders so that they will export correctly, assign BP_HEAD (which you will later change to SBP_131_HAIR in NifSkope) to the areas that you want to disappear when the hood is equipped, and assign BP_HEAD2 (which you will later change to SBP_141_LONGHAIR in NifSkope) to the areas that you want to stay visible. Other than that, you just follow the same steps for weighting, rigging, exporting, and cleaning up in Nifskope that you do for armor. Finally, you use your new edited hair model as a replacement for the old one.

Sometimes hairs have two (or more) separate models, so if that is the case with this hair, you will also have to repeat the process on the second model. Lastly, the hood *may* need to be edited in the Creation Kit to allow it to display hair.

Again, I have to stress, you need to pick up the basic skills I mentioned earlier before any of this will make sense.

Edited by RabidGears
  • Upvote 2