DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Sky] Banner retexture

Killertube99

I want to (and have tried to) create several custom banner sets for the major cities in my mod but I can't seem to get the textures to display in-game, even when using texture sets. I'm not sure what's causing the problem it could be that the texture set isn't done properly or the texture itself not being placed properly on the model or maybe the banners are special cases in terms of texturing due to their animations but i have no way of knowing for sure so if someone could point me in the way of a guide or solution that would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

On 2/17/2016 at 11:12 PM, Killertube99 said:

I want to (and have tried to) create several custom banner sets for the major cities in my mod but I can't seem to get the textures to display in-game, even when using texture sets. I'm not sure what's causing the problem it could be that the texture set isn't done properly or the texture itself not being placed properly on the model or maybe the banners are special cases in terms of texturing due to their animations but i have no way of knowing for sure so if someone could point me in the way of a guide or solution that would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

I think you will need to provide more information for people to be of help.

What method are you using to bring the new textures into the game? Are you simply creating new textures and naming them the same as the old texture files for the vanilla banners and then putting them in the games' texture folders? Are these new meshes/objects you are creating with new texture sets? If so, how did you create the new meshes? Did you use Nifskope to make sure they are pointing to the correct file paths for the textures? In Creation Kit, when looking at the banner in the Object Window, does the banner appear to have the correct texture or is it showing as purple?

Sorry if any of these questions seem academic, but without more info it's hard to really guess what the issue can be. So if you can provide details on what you did, that would be ideal.

On 2/19/2016 at 9:42 AM, TigerCubofPNW said:

I think you will need to provide more information for people to be of help.

What method are you using to bring the new textures into the game? Are you simply creating new textures and naming them the same as the old texture files for the vanilla banners and then putting them in the games' texture folders? Are these new meshes/objects you are creating with new texture sets? If so, how did you create the new meshes? Did you use Nifskope to make sure they are pointing to the correct file paths for the textures? In Creation Kit, when looking at the banner in the Object Window, does the banner appear to have the correct texture or is it showing as purple?

Sorry if any of these questions seem academic, but without more info it's hard to really guess what the issue can be. So if you can provide details on what you did, that would be ideal.

The banners themselves are duplications of the pre-existing city banners with different names on the models so that they don't replace the existing banners, texture-wise I created the textures moved them into the appropriate folder then used Nifskope to replace the old textures by having the file path point to the new textures. When in the creation kit it shows as a blank white texture which tells me that the normal map works fine it's just the texture or model that's having problems.

On 2/20/2016 at 1:48 AM, Killertube99 said:

The banners themselves are duplications of the pre-existing city banners with different names on the models so that they don't replace the existing banners, texture-wise I created the textures moved them into the appropriate folder then used Nifskope to replace the old textures by having the file path point to the new textures. When in the creation kit it shows as a blank white texture which tells me that the normal map works fine it's just the texture or model that's having problems.

No, in the Creation Kit it definitely shouldn't be a blank white texture. Hopefully you mean Nifskope. In Creation Kit it should look exactly like it is meant to look in game. It should be A) Fine (yay!) B) Purple (Texture missing, file path wrong) or C) invisible (uh oh, SNAFU)

If it is showing white in CK.... Um, I'd recommend begging Hana for help because something is all wrong.

If you're just trying to retexture an existing model, then you don't need to touch the mesh in Nifskope. You simply make a duplicate of the banner you want in the CK and then use a texture set to change the texture on the duplicate. Have a read through this tutorial on texture sets to make sure that you're using them properly: http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3895-skyrim-texture-sets/

Edited by RabidGears

On 2/22/2016 at 9:23 AM, RabidGears said:

If you're just trying to retexture an existing model, then you don't need to touch the mesh in Nifskope. You simply make a duplicate of the banner you want in the CK and then use a texture set to change the texture on the duplicate. Have a read through this tutorial on texture sets to make sure that you're using them properly: http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3895-skyrim-texture-sets/

well I need to touch the mesh because i need to wrap the textures, as well as making the texture set don't I? Unless I'm stupid and the reason I was getting a white texture was because of two valid texture sources fighting for one model

You do not need both methods ... use one or the other. Either directly point to your new texture in the mesh itself OR use a texture set. A texture set is simply an easier way to redirect texture sources.

Let's back up for a minute. When you redirect your texture files in Nifskope, does everything look ok? Did you make sure the texture file location starts with textures\blah blah  before you saved it? Did you touch any of the shader flags? Does your new texture have a proper alpha channel? How did you create the new banner in the CK? If you duplicated the existing banner record, it is probably already redirected with a texture set that you'll need to remove so the textures in the mesh itself show.

File locations were fine, I didn't touch anything except the textures. I'm pretty sure it had the correct alpha channels but I recently had to format my hard drive to so I'm remaking the textures atm when I have time to work on it I will make sure the new textures have the right alpha channel. The banners were duplicated from existing banner records but I made sure to point it towards my textures. I think what happened was that it showed white because it got confused seeing as I had made a texture set AND  directly pointed to my new textures in the mesh itself causing it to default to the blank white mesh.

Once I get a break and am able to start working again I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!