DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[SKY] Has Creation Kit been updated?

TigerCubofPNW

I have a baffling issue and the only explanation I have is that in Bethesda's efforts to be "helpful" they've effed things all to hell. I know CK now works for Fallout4 (and thank you, Bethesda, for making it so NONE of my previous links to articles I use all the time on the Wiki work anymore. So helpful of you!) and since CK comes to us through Steam, updates are automatic so...

I have a script that used to work and compile just fine. To be clear, I used this tutorial from the wiki, did it exactly, and the script compiled, worked in game, EVERYTHING was fine. For once. But this is Skyrim so....

Now when I go to compile the script I get this:

C:\AAAGaming\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\FavorDialogueScript.psc(19,20): cannot name a variable or property the same as a known type or script
C:\AAAGaming\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\FavorDialogueScript.psc(89,25): Gold is not a variable
C:\AAAGaming\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\FavorDialogueScript.psc(91,18): Gold is not a variable

What the even effing hell? How can a script compile one day but not the next? My only explanation is that Bethesda did something to the CK and failed to account for how that would screw things up. I'm hoping the experienced modders here might know how to fix things. Because if that's not what happened, then I have no effing idea. Let me stress, the scripts that compiled and then I tested in game were NOT touched. I discovered this issue when trying to create a new Bribe dialogue. I went back to the ones that I know work, opened them, asked them to compile and got the above error. But I sort of need to keep using Bribe/Persuade/Intimidate so... Help?

Firstly, nothing and I mean nothing as in NOTHING changed with the scripts between the time they compiled and the time they did not.

Secondly, a script will compile without errors if the properties are not filled. The script won't work, since it doesn't know what resources to use for its properties, but it will compile. I do it all the time.

Third, this error occurs not just when adding the property within the script, it occurs when I add the property through the Add Property function, which deprives me of any chance to ever fill the property.

Fourthly, I am always willing to believe the mistake is mine. When I first encountered this error, I assumed it was me. That's why I went and compiled the scripts that I had already made, tested and confirmed as working. Once I duplicated the error on scripts that did not have the error before, I knew my code was not to blame.

Edited by TigerCubofPNW
New Information

Okay, I no longer seem to be able to edit posts so...

Here's some new information that makes me really scratch my head.

If you go to the quest DialogueFavorGeneric, go into the FavorDialogueScript and hit Save, it throws the same error. It won't compile. I had a friend try it on his CK and he had the same thing happen. A vanilla script should not fail to compile, should it? Doesn't this point to something very wrong in CK?

9 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

Firstly, nothing and I mean nothing as in NOTHING changed with the scripts between the time they compiled and the time they did not.

Secondly, a script will compile without errors if the properties are not filled. The script won't work, since it doesn't know what resources to use for its properties, but it will compile. I do it all the time.

Third, this error occurs not just when adding the property within the script, it occurs when I add the property through the Add Property function, which deprives me of any chance to ever fill the property.

Fourthly, I am always willing to believe the mistake is mine. When I first encountered this error, I assumed it was me. That's why I went and compiled the scripts that I had already made, tested and confirmed as working. Once I duplicated the error on scripts that did not have the error before, I knew my code was not to blame.

Okay, did you try saving your scripts using a third party program (Notepad++, Sublime or else)?

2 hours ago, TigerCubofPNW said:

Okay, I no longer seem to be able to edit posts so...

Here's some new information that makes me really scratch my head.

If you go to the quest DialogueFavorGeneric, go into the FavorDialogueScript and hit Save, it throws the same error. It won't compile. I had a friend try it on his CK and he had the same thing happen. A vanilla script should not fail to compile, should it? Doesn't this point to something very wrong in CK?

I did that and didn't get any error:

Capture.JPG

Did you download the CK for Fallout 4? I didn't and my version of the CK for Skytim is 1.9.36. Did you verify the cache in Steam for the CK (the CK, not Skyrim)?

The CK was last updated around the time paid mods was introduced on Steam (last year?). With that update all the scripts were released in a "scripts.rar" archive in the Skyrim\Data folder. Have you unpacked that archive? If so, have you checked all the .psc files are actually in the Scripts\Source folder?